DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

HID's for the H11b's

Old 01-12-2009, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai F24S

<span style="font-family:Trebuchet MS">Colin is right on the money, as usual.</span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cclngthr)</div><div class='quotemain'>What was the cost and supplier (linky please) of this kit? I might order one when I get my tax return.</div>

<span style="font-family:Trebuchet MS">$155 for my 5000K kit, and I bought them from AJ (fixer or hyundaifixer...depending on the forum you're on.) http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endID=198894973

I do , however, recommend Paul's HID kits as well. Apexcone is a well-known brand, with a good reputation, and Paul is a good guy who won't rip you off.</span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cujo8me)</div><div class='quotemain'>i still don't understand how by breaking a part of the base off it goes from a H11B bulb to H11......

also if you broke the tabs off that held the bulb connector on the base how would the base work w/o the connector....</div>

<span style="font-family:Trebuchet MS">Just like Colin said...once you break off the tabs that hold the bulb connector, any H11 bulb will fit into it's place. Afterward, the bulb connector just floats freely inside the headlight housing, and you can plug the two wires directly into the stock connector, avoiding the possibility of voiding your warranty. I recommend wrapping the connector in waterproof electrical tape, just to be on the safe side. Don't want anything touching the edges and causing a short.</span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cclngthr)</div><div class='quotemain'>That is why I want to avoid cutting into the main harness. I want to use the wiring that is inside the headlight lens housing instead. That way, if I have a problem, then the housing can easily be swapped out and it will be factory again. Also looks factory when you wire it up so the housing wires are used rather than having a bunch of splices in the main harness.</div>

<span style="font-family:Trebuchet MS">Exactly. Not only are my HID's hooked up to the stock harness, but the install looks completely professional.

I had my Sonata up at the dealership a few weeks ago to fix my turn signal (wouldn't blink) and not only did they fix it under warranty, but the service manager asked me where he could get a kit like mine, so he wouldn't void his warranty.</span>
Old 01-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I don't understand what part of the wiring is inside the headlight housing. Got a pic showing it?
Old 01-12-2009, 09:26 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(187sks @ Jan 12 2009, 11:11 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'>I don't understand what part of the wiring is inside the headlight housing. Got a pic showing it?</div>
<span style="font-family:Trebuchet MS">
It's the part that's attached to the base, the part that the headlight plugs into. Once you break it off the connector shown in this picture, it will be loose in the headlight housing.

Once that's out, you plug these two wires into it..see the two sticking up?

Once that's hooked up, put the H11 bulb into the newly modified base:

</span>
Old 01-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Administrator

So somewhere else on the headlight housing there is a plug that supplies power to the connection for the bulb? Makes sense. I think I get it. I couldn't tell that the whole connector you chopped off was down inside the headlight housing.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(187sks @ Jan 12 2009, 12:22 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'>So somewhere else on the headlight housing there is a plug that supplies power to the connection for the bulb? Makes sense. I think I get it. I couldn't tell that the whole connector you chopped off was down inside the headlight housing.</div>
<span style="font-family:Trebuchet MS">
Exactly. There's a harness that plugs into the back of your housing that supplies power for everything (lows, highs, and turn signals) and the power wires run to each bulb individually inside the housing. Once you take the connector off the base, you still have the connector itself and the two wires running back into the housing. You plug the two wires from the HID kit into the two slots on the stock connector, and voila!</span>
Old 01-12-2009, 01:11 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Hyundai Elantra SE

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(187sks @ Jan 12 2009, 09:22 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'>So somewhere else on the headlight housing there is a plug that supplies power to the connection for the bulb? Makes sense. I think I get it. I couldn't tell that the whole connector you chopped off was down inside the headlight housing.</div>

There is a plug that hooks the main harness to the headlight housing itself, which inside the housing, wires separate into the separate circuits for the 3 lights in the housing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Munky @ Jan 12 2009, 09:27 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'><span style="font-family:Trebuchet MS">
Exactly. There's a harness that plugs into the back of your housing that supplies power for everything (lows, highs, and turn signals) and the power wires run to each bulb individually inside the housing. Once you take the connector off the base, you still have the connector itself and the two wires running back into the housing. You plug the two wires from the HID kit into the two slots on the stock connector, and voila!</span></div>

That is what I plan on doing when I get the HID kit.

EDIT,

The Diode Dynamics website no longer has the HID kits. DDM has the Apexicone kits for 55 bucks + shipping costs.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:27 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cclngthr @ Jan 12 2009, 03:11 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'>EDIT,

The Diode Dynamics website no longer has the HID kits. DDM has the Apexicone kits for 55 bucks + shipping costs.</div>

<span style="font-family:Trebuchet MS">Yeah, I tried contacting Paul about that yesterday, with no response.</span>
Old 01-13-2009, 07:45 AM

<span style="font-family:Trebuchet MS">Here's some pictures after the install:</span>

Old 01-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Administrator

The beam cuts off nicely. smile.gif
Old 01-13-2009, 09:25 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Hyundai Elantra SE

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Munky @ Jan 13 2009, 06:27 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'><span style="font-family:Trebuchet MS">Yeah, I tried contacting Paul about that yesterday, with no response.</span></div>

Let me know when he responds.