DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

1.8 Intake Cam Problem

Old 05-04-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RED ZMAN @ May 3 2009, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Please type out what you are trying to say man</div>

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...st&p=159637

Please read rule 19.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>19. The "Caj" Rule. Leet speak is NOT welcome here whatsoever. if you type things like a55hole or ne1 instead of asshole or anyone, you will be warned verbally, your threads may be closed, and for repeat offenders, you will get a full warning. Grow up and get your message across to everyone. Want to be treated like an adult? Want your thread read? Type like it.</div>

you have 25 posts now. We have asked nicely twice in the same post. Well just call this your friendly verbal.

Please let us know if you get your car running and what was the issue.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:04 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

With all of the turning over you did, do this.

1. Make sure the engine is set at TDC. You do this as it says in the 1.8L cam thread. After you check it, DOUBLE CHECK IT.
2. Take off your spark plug wires and set them aside in the order they go back on. Might want to label everything just to make sure.
3. Test your wires!
4. With everything set right, pop off your valve cover and look at the cams. The dimple markings, and the 5 links/link markings. Take a picture, post it here just to have us check. Those dimple markings should be STRAIGHT up in reference to the engine, not to the ground. This means they will angle back about 8 degrees or so. Again, double and TRIPLE check everything.
5. Loosen and adjust as needed.
6. Run the engine around 2 or 3 times BY HAND to ensure nothing is hitting or binding.

Then go on from there.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:04 PM

ok sorry im just use to talking like that.
The car is at hyundai i spoke to the service tech and he said a few things.
Firstly the timing was off ALOT lol, secondly it needs a new chain because there is to much play.
As of right now the cam is in and everything is timed properly were just waiting on the chain so he can finish it all up.
They told me i can pick it up tomarrow around lunch time.

The service tech also said that my crankshaft seals are gone and they need to be changed! Im just curious if this is possible he said its due to wear overt time, but the car only has 164600 km. He said if the seal goes completely it will kill the engine and its $2063 to fix. What do you guy/girls think i should do ?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

1. he's bullshitting you. Why would they put the cams back in, timed correctly, if they need to take them back out to put the chain on?

2. Tell him you want to see the "Play" in the chain, and look up what the specs are for replacing the chain.

3. As for the seals, have him show you, and look up the information yourself. I've not heard of this problem happening, and am not sure why he's looking at your crankshaft seals. Just because a seal goes, doesn't mean it's instantly that much to fix the problem.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:29 PM

Long time since I've posted, I lurk more than anything. sad.gif
Anyway, his first post sounds exactly what I posted about when I did the cam swap. That thumping idle is because the cam is advanced a link. Thats what happen to me. Also, when lining up the cams, Be SURE to line the the DOTS on the teeth of the chain. I didn't notice them when I first did it, and used the square (I guess it's a keyway for the cam gear) to attempt it. And from what it sounds, you never took the exhaust cam out, so just recount the links (5) and line the marks up. After that you should be set.