DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

1.8 Intake Cam Problem

Old 05-03-2009, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me and a friend of mine tried installing the 1.8 intake cam yesturday and lets just say we messed it up lol.
I followed the pictures and step-by-step procedure that everyone has written out on rd and other websites.
I dont know what we did wrong we left 5 links in between and did everything and when the car started after 20 cranks it sounded like a mean muscle car lol, so we took it out and put the 2.0l cam back into it and the car just wouldnt start.
We cranked it bout 4 times and then gave up as it would not start, any ideas as to whats wrong? has this happened to anyone else?

Thnx Mike
Old 05-03-2009, 01:03 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

When I put my 1.8L cam I thought it was messed up too. It sounded like a helicopter and I remember people saying it would sound off for 30 seconds till the cam settled.

Well it took like 5 minutes for my cam to settle but it ran fine after. Only thing I can think of is you aren't getting the compression you need because of a timing issue. there are 2 tdc's, it's possible you got it backwards maybe for the 2.0l?
Old 05-03-2009, 10:04 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

The problem I had with my cams, and I can see a lot of other folks having, is relation of the marks on the cam sprockets and the engine.

The engine, even when the car is flat on the ground, IS NOT LEVEL. Look atyour engine and you'll see that the head angles from up down front to back. Like this.

[\] With [ being the front of the car and \ being the top of the head.

So this means that the marks on the cam sprockets need to be up in relation to the head, and NOT in relation to ground. I did mine backwards the first time, and it ran like crap. I ran it right the second time, and it ran good.

Don't forget to run the engine through by hand first to make sure it is installed right and nothing is hitting, and reset your ECU!
Old 05-03-2009, 12:13 PM

well we tried several times to get it right but it never worked! the car just wont start now,it just cranks and cranks but wont start.
If the timming is off would it not let it start? Or could there be something else wrong with the car?

I appreciate the help guys and girls...

Thnx mike
Old 05-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

You have a bad spark plug wire.

Or two.

Ask me how I know . . . owned.gif
Old 05-03-2009, 03:17 PM

Of course there could be something else wrong, you've been a bit vague here, so you could have just completely trashed your head.

Look at what you have been told to do and look at, and post whether or not you've done them.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:10 PM

yes u r right red zman sry... umm well i havent tried anything since. Im scared to mess around with it! I have brought it to my shop to get looked at 2marrow. Hopefully it is nothing major like the motor or anything and hopefully just a spark plug wire or something just like stocker said. As of right now everything turns over just wont start! I will keep you all updated and let you know what happens 2marrow when i get home

Thnx again for your help guys!!!
Mike
Old 05-03-2009, 09:21 PM

Please type out what you are trying to say man, I wanna help here, but reading that makes me want to put a nail in my eyeballs.

Did you reset your ECU?

Did you put your plug wires back on right?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

REDZ, when my dad (ex-mechanic) and I were fooling around with my cams, the 2nd-to-last time we started the engine, it ran like SHIAT. It was hitting on 3 cylinders, tops. It sounded interesting. Sort of like my old truck when it was running on 6 cylinders, but quieter. wink1.gif

I shut down and we scratched our heads for a minute and I said: "spark plug wire." He said: "Yep." I grabbed an old 'good, used' set of wires I had lying around the shop and installed them. Purrrrrring like a kitten. We had double and triple checked the timing and nothing else had been changed, so it was either the cams (not likely) or the wires.

Removing and installing the spark plug wires on these engines, especially with the various angles and lengths (slightly too-short, always, for some stupid reason) , is a good way to break them.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:33 PM

yes i did reset the ecu and i tried new wire on it yesturday at night after reading this lol... but still nothing the guy at the dealer said its nothing else then timming... we f***** it up somewere so he gonna re-do the timing for me 2nite! I will get my shark back 2marrow!

thnx for the help guys

MIke