The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

This website is going TOO far!

Old 02-22-2005, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hamhead)</div><div class='quotemain'>although it doesn't matter. Every child nowadays knows curse words and how to beat the monkey by the time hes 9 anyway.</div>

And that is just sad... and all the more reason to put a line down somewhere and say... "it stops here" Maybe this site alone won't stop a kid from growing up too fast, but if enough people and sites did this.. we could make a difference.

Childhood is too precious to let them give it all away by growing up too fast.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:56 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Well I think everything runs great, I've never got an AWS message since the change over. You have to be mature about things, there are rules set in place for the better good. Following the rules isn't hard...they arn't very strict smile.gif
Old 02-22-2005, 10:08 PM

oh what year is it? 2005 a 13 will be 16 in 2008 our cars will be anywhere from 10-7 years old. how many do you think will be arround then? if they are there won't be hardly any aftermarket for them. I can promise you that.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:17 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (solo-baric)</div><div class='quotemain'>Then my next thing would be why are 13 year olds allowed to join? Raise it to 16 when you are legaly allowed to drive..</div>
I totally agree with this
But then when you register, a 9 year old can say they are 18
It's not like we make them run their Social Security # through.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

ok guys, something i noticed, that i guess can go in here.

its ok to tell someone to search.

HOWEVER.

if the user is new, and from a different FVCKING country. do the searching for them the first time. and maybe a second. politely inform them of the search function and its wonders only if you figure out their answer before.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I really agree with Tibby01...

When people are new, they might not know the rules or even know rules exist. I think it would be 100% better to help them first, letting them know what they are doing wrong, and THEN chew them out after they know how to search and have read the rules.

Most people are chewing newbs out for not searching... some of those people did not come back to ask another question. This is a friendly community, lets INTRODUCE ourselves in the same way. Give them an 'example' of the results of searching (answering their question the first time via links to the answered threads), explain how to search, and give them a link to the rules.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:08 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Solo, the whole thing with not allowing anyone under 16 to register is a mute point. The only way to keep younger people from reading the forums would be to make it so unregistered users cannot get into the forums. That would probably eliminate about 80% of our new user registrations. I doubt I would register if I couldn't see the forums first.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:42 AM

I know a great way to solve the problem of underage viewing swearing.... one word.....disclaimer.....also cant we block the word only for certain users? or new users? can we at least make the rest of the word blocked but only the first letter show? Theres only two words realy left one is the leet/disguised word Chris used a few posts up lol, -1 point for him, and the other one is a quite rare word so, i dont really see a reason to use the F word that much, and well C-word just happens. shouldnt Twat maybe be on the list also lol, nm jk, but the point is......crap, i had a good point now i forgot.

its because you ramble!! tongue.gif:
Old 02-23-2005, 08:43 AM

As an admin of another site, I find that the less I try and step in and moderate/control everything, the less I have to. Same goes w/ the mods on my site. We let people be civil and don't clench down on them, and they don't give us a reason to.

Granted, my site is much smaller than this and that is no doubt a contributing factor, but one thing I noticed from another unmentionable site is that the more mods/admins tried to control things, the more chaos it created.

The "unmentionable" forums used to be a very peacefull place. Then the admins/mods slowly started dictating threads...posts were editted for no reason, deleted for no reason, entire threads would be removed soley because a certain mod disagreed with the opinions posted.

That place isn't worth the webspace it takes up anymore, all because of powerhungry mods/admin abusing their e-power. PM's get deleted, mods falsify PMs, re-write posts to fit their opinions, ban people on a whim, etc, etc.

People snap under pressure. If mods/admins dont clench down on people in an overly controlling way, there will be less pressure, and no one will snap.

When you walk down the street talking to your friends, do you have a policeman walking beside you monitoring your every word? Butting in sometimes to correct you if he does not agree? Stopping you from voicing your opinion? No. How would you feel if you did have a cop doing that? It would most likely **** you off and under that kind of agitation, I wouldnt be suprised if you did snap and cause trouble.

Though different, the same concept applies to forums or any other way of public mass-communication.

This site is a great place and always has been, and I don't see anything wrong with it right now. But I'd hate to see it go down hill the same way another place did.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:47 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Joshuwa)</div><div class='quotemain'>As an admin of another site, I find that the less I try and step in and moderate/control everything, the less I have to.</div>

We would LOVE for that to be the case, but for right now it simply is not the case here.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>We let people be civil and don't clench down on them, and they don't give us a reason to.</div>

And thats where our problem is, some of the members here are NOT being civilized. And if they are not dealt with, they will continue to disrupt the forums. Trust me, NONE of us actually enjoy doing alot of what we do here as moderators and admin, we do so becuase we have been asked to, and for some its thier way of contributing to the community that is growing here.

Regardless of what some people reading and posting in this thread think, the moderators here are open-minded and we are willing to change things, BUT the members of this site need to be willing to do the same. There are a few members who have not shown ANY ability or willingness to adapt. Should we simply ignore them and let them slowly destroy what has been built here??

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>People snap under pressure. If mods/admins dont clench down on people in an overly controlling way, there will be less pressure, and no one will snap.</div>
Its great in theory, but very unlikely in practice. Here, if we did not edit or warn people about stuff, like REDZ said, 95% of the information here would be completely off-topic. We want the site to be a knowledge base 1st and foremost, not a chat room. We have set aside specific areas for that kind of stuff. That way when people come here looking for info about certain things they can find it w/o having to sort thru tons of crap to find a simple yes or no answer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>When you walk down the street talking to your friends, do you have a policeman walking beside you monitoring your every word? Butting in sometimes to correct you if he does not agree?</div> Actually yes, sometimes I do. And while he does not butt in to correct me very often, his wife has no qualms about doing so.
eyeroll.gif
wink1.gif J/K, sort-of. I have a couple of freinds that are cops.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>But I'd hate to see it go down hill the same way another place did.</div> So would we, my friend, so would we.