The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

The truth about the ricey GK's

Old 11-01-2006, 11:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Breaking the daily driver is another BS excuse! You can't tell me that all these people that buy performance mods for their cars don't floor it on the streets every once in a while. (Redz excluded) I bet they beat the hell out of it daily. The street is no different than the track. If anything, the track is less harsh than the streets.

Like I said, there are hundreds of people in this forum showing off their new performance mods, but none of them actually test them. If you're not gonna test them, then how do you know they work? Personally, I would want to know if my $5000 worth of mods is actually working. You may feel like its quicker on the streets, but you're not gonna know if it's 2, 3, or 4/10ths quicker. You need to go to the track to find that out.

It's not a contest. It's a personal relief knowing that your money has been well spent.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i just dont want to.

i buy parts, and they make me happy. i dont need a number to prove it for me.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:09 PM

i dont buy parts to have braggin rights as to how much power i make or how fast i run the 1/4 i buy them for my own sh*ts and giggles. i mean why would you honestly get mad that people dont take it to the track? and i dont beat my car to hell and back like you would at a track, or like you suggest the majority of us do when we put on our parts.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad_john @ Nov 1 2006, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>the guy with 401 hp there is no pic of his shit or any info on what he has, sounds like BS to me because i have to run 1.5 bar to get 420 to mine and he is only is pushing 15psi.</div>

I've seen a vid of it dynoing on NT. It only makes 260whp @ 5000RPM. lmao.gif Big turbo just for a high number on a dyno sheet.

Quarter mile is fun, those who are saying "Oh noes my poor daily driver" probably have never went or even watched. Tons of top experts advocate thrashing on the car every now and then, keeping it at 2000rpm all the time weakens the motor. Running a quarter really isn't that much wear.

I can understand how some people wouldn't want to drive 2 hours to get to a track, especially if they have never been to one before. Its not a bad thing to go visit once a year though, 2 hours isn't so bad.

To me, half the enjoyment is the install and half the enjoyment is driving it a little hard every now and then to see that my money was well spent.

I'm not gonna force people to go or say "Shame on you!" however.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:15 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JonGTR @ Nov 1 2006, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Money is NOT the problem.
A lot of the GK timeslips are from stock motors. It doesn't matter what you have in the car.
There's no excuse. I think people are just scared to go to the track.</div>
If you do a search, you'll find about 50-75 timeslips/recorded runs on the RD forums. Probably another 50-100 on the old HA forums that Josh put up. Search HP.com and probably find at least 100, if not more.

The point? People just don't feel like posting in THAT thread. I know that my timeslips aren't up there. Neither are Jaws021. Spiffywerks, Blacktibs, Red, Ammoman...and about 15 other guys I KNOW went to the track...cuz I was there with em.

If you're so fricking sick (and apparently upset), spend your time search the forum archives on the various sites and compile/update the list. Do something productive rather than rag on people.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Your attitude(in this thread) is sure not part of the solution. You do the math....
Old 11-01-2006, 02:31 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>They spend hundreds on these mods, but it only takes $10 to make a trip down the 1/4 mile. Or $25 to join in an autocross session.
A lot of the GK timeslips are from stock motors. It doesn't matter what you have in the car.
There's no excuse. I think people are just scared to go to the track.</div>

i like what you are saying, that more of our drivers should record their cars and it would help our reputation a little. but the thing is they spend hundreds of dollars on mods because they're necessary and there's no way around the price. all N/A tuners want is a little push that's all and nothing more. N/A tuners could really care less if they're slower than Corvettes because they know they are and don't have to go to the track to figure that out. that pretty much eliminates N/A cars because obviously they don't have the time, money, and skills to boost their cars meaning their cars aren't their highest priority for their money.

there are N/A people who like to go to the track but that's just for thrills.

nobody needs to go to the track. the boosted guys don't. if they do it's for thrills. but they don't need to because they have to have their cars tuned first before the car can drive so they already know their stats.

as for being scared? sure, N/A cannot afford to push their car to the limit that one time. usually when they push their cars it's only up to 75 mph one time from a light but it's because they run into it on the street and ask themselves why not. tracks are usually located in shady areas and usually there's just no need to go to one to know if you can beat a fast car because you already know you cannot.

in my opinion, the track is purely for thrills. if you want to see slips all you have to ask for is a dyno sheet and you would just look at other dyno sheets from other forums to know if you're faster. honestly since i'm N/A i just want a nice cheap car that is moderately fast and sounds nice. reason for doing it? girls. i know girls like fast cars, but not on my 6.50/hr budget no thanks she's not getting any diamonds anytime soon...
Old 11-01-2006, 09:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Random @ Nov 1 2006, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If you do a search, you'll find about 50-75 timeslips/recorded runs on the RD forums. Probably another 50-100 on the old HA forums that Josh put up. Search HP.com and probably find at least 100, if not more.

The point? People just don't feel like posting in THAT thread. I know that my timeslips aren't up there. Neither are Jaws021. Spiffywerks, Blacktibs, Red, Ammoman...and about 15 other guys I KNOW went to the track...cuz I was there with em.

If you're so fricking sick (and apparently upset), spend your time search the forum archives on the various sites and compile/update the list. Do something productive rather than rag on people.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Your attitude(in this thread) is sure not part of the solution. You do the math....</div>
Wow, way to be so black and white on this. So I guess I am the problem huh?
This thread wasn't meant to rag on other RD members. And my attitude doesn't suck like you think it does. This thread was meant to maybe get more RD's to head to the track. Kinda light a fire under their asses. I also wanted to find out WHY they aren't going. Out of all these people, they cant ALL just throw on parts and not actually race the car. That's rediculous to think they don't on the streets. I'm willing to bet my car that if this site had a street racing forum, it would be flooded with stories.
Another point was that there are several little outbursts about the GK's and their "ricey" modifications such as the Tuscani badges and KDM accesories. Like the GK was just meant to "look pretty". I'm just pointing out the fact that they have far more people running at the tracks than we do. So after the real comparison, it kinda makes us look like the ricey ones.
As for doing a treasure hunt for 5 year old timeslips.....I'm not gonna do it. I'm talking about the current 2000 members that have modified their cars recently. Not the ones who have long since sold their cars. Most of those people were near stock anyways. Since then, we now have dozens of people with custom turbo kits and major n/a mods, but only 3 of them posted their times.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

jon, I totally understand where you coming from. Everyone talks about going fast and no one proves it. I've wanted to go to the track for a long time now. I just never get to. The best track around here is about 1 1/2 hours away. I was actually going on friday but other things came up that I can't miss. It comes down to priorities, I can't make a 3 hour trip to go run at the track when I have 100 other things to do.

I WILL go eventually though. wink1.gif
Old 11-01-2006, 10:08 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Like the GK was just meant to "look pretty</div>

actually they were! if look at korean ads they're so cheap. "new technology"??? HAH. just a cheap sports car for cheap people like us admit it lmao.gif

i'd agree to pushing people to go to the track, but think about it man nobody's going to do it and if they do it'll be years apart.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tibby01 @ Nov 1 2006, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>i just dont want to.

i buy parts, and they make me happy. i dont need a number to prove it for me.</div>

Yup. WORD.

This is my hobby. I have NOTHING to prove to anyone. I work on my car because I cannot run anymore. I can no longer play soccer or do most of the physical stuff I used to.

For your information Mister Smart ASS, I FLOOR my car on a daily basis. I take my car out to the boonies on a REGULAR basis and have at it. I know stuff on my car works because I drive it DAILY, and I drive it like it should be driven.

The ONLY car excuse isn't BS at all. The locals used to b**** at me cause I wouldn't race at the track with them. Oh friggin well. I'm married and have a kid, they have to get to work and school, not to mention me. My daily driver, if it were to go down back then, we would have been SCREWED. Now I've got 2 RD's and my Sorento. We take the Sorento out into the desert on a regular basis and have fun. After my exhaust, I WILL go to the track once or twice to get some numbers, and the only reason I will is because I promised on this site that when I felt my car was ready for the boring ass 1/4, I would get some numbers.

For some of us, this passion is a hobby, hence why we work on more than one aspect of our cars (looks, performance, show). I've had you rag on me enough for shit I've bought via IM, and I could give a rats ass what you think about anything I've put on my car.