Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

XG350 Semi Big Brake Conversion

Old 03-14-2005, 08:22 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XG350 Semi Big Brake Conversion

Post what you know.

I'm selling the kits once I know for sure which caliper to stock.

I know so far that the rotor from a 2004 sonata with ABS, fits on our cars, and a caliper of the new XG350 is supposed to work with it.

I need facts guys so correct me if I'm wrong, and try to get some years posted so I can get this sorted out. Thanks guys.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:25 PM

From what I know that is correct. Also I think the XG caliper is the same as the GK caliper, someone please correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Hyundai part number on the rotors is 51712-3D300
Old 03-14-2005, 08:48 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

this is what ive come up with...

the size of the sonata rotors WITH ABS are 11.15 or something close to that. about an inch bigger diameter than ours.

same size as the v6 gk, and xg350, except the sonata ones have a 4 bolt pattern.

now, we can upgrade to the bigger single piston v6 caliper with sonata rotors, and only need the 2004 sonata w/ ABS rotors, v6 tib calipers w/ mounting brackets, and new crush washers and other washers here and there(like the one between the line and the caliper...IMPORTANT).

but, the xg350 calipers use the same mounting locations as the v6 tib calipers. so we should be able to use them. you will need the new caliper bracket fromt he xg350 though. which makes me think the pads arent the same.

im still trying to confirm this stuff. searching through newtib.com is a pain though. im definately gonna give it a try, and post up a DIY if the stuff works. im thinking we made need a new master cylinder off of maybe a v6 tib or something, but who knows.

im in the process of being the guinea pig for this one. laugh.gif:
Old 03-15-2005, 05:50 AM

I am definatly watching you on this, Tibby01. Question is though, would you really need to use the XG bracket? It seems to me that as long as the caliper bolted to the bracket, you could use whatever pad fits it. I do not think the Caliper itself really minds what size or shape pad you use (within reason) as long as the pistons contact compleatly with the back of the pad.

If you are going to be the Guinia pig.. you one of the smooth haired ones or the cute cowlicked ones?
Old 03-15-2005, 08:53 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

what about one of those ugly sonofab****es with no hair. wink1.gif

i was wondering about that same question, but it seems like maybe the actual caliper has slightly different mounting locations. there is a DIY on newtib.com, that says you need the xg calipers. im sure that whoever wrote it would have tested their v6tib caliper brackets with the xg calipers, but i guess you never know.

they do look very similiar though. might be that the distance between the xg mounting spots on the caliper are a little wider, to accomodate for the two pistons....

Old 03-15-2005, 09:27 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

ill have a DIY on this in about a week......

ill keep ya posted
Old 03-15-2005, 09:37 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Chris, one thing I've heard recently is that the Sonata ABS and NON ABS are actually the same rotors.

Tibby01, you should check that out.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:40 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

if that is true, then it defeats the purpose of caring, lol.

If the w/ ABS are the same as w/o, then nothing changes and we're still in the same boat.

So that may be good news.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:34 AM

QUOTE (Blacktibs)
Post what you know.

I'm selling the kits once I know for sure which caliper to stock.

I know so far that the rotor from a 2004 sonata with ABS, fits on our cars, and a caliper of the new XG350 is supposed to work with it.

Correct about the Sonata rotors. Downside? Aftermarket brake manufacturers, such as Brembo/Wilwood won't make us the 11" Sonata rotors. Instead of creating a totally new rotor for the Sonata, they just sell the Tiburon 10" ones. It's lame, but it's more effective to do it this way (money-wise).

I'd definitely be jumping in on this deal if the rotors were slotted. smile.gif

I'm going to go a tad off-topic. Tibby01, you know if the rear calipers on the GK Tibs fit ours? In theory, they should fit our rears...and if that theory holds up, then that means we can use the EBC Green Stuff brake pads for the rears too. smile.gif

Rears aren't really a big deal, though.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:40 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (ArcticChill)
Tibby01, you know if the rear calipers on the GK Tibs fit ours? In theory, they should fit our rears...and if that theory holds up, then that means we can use the EBC Green Stuff brake pads for the rears too. smile.gif

I know, I'm hoping it does, it it should fit. The only issue I'm worried about there is the master cylinder. Will we be pushing enough fluid?

Rears aren't really a big deal, though.

A lot of folks say that, and I know the rears don't wear as fast or brake as much, but I like the car to look even, and don't want huge brakes in the front and small in the back.