Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Vibration During Tire Break In?

Old 05-15-2005, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUOTE (97Tibby @ May 14 2005, 05:26 PM)
same thing is happening to me on my car. Just got new tires on my rims, SHAKE LIKE CRAZY!!! they say its becuz of hubcentric rings are needed... but will put them on and see if they make any difference... doubt it.. dang places that cant take responsibility for their actions.

Holy crap dude, you are riding on a rim that does'nt match the hub diameter??!!

This is the purpose of hubcentric rings!!!!!! Get them now!

with-out them you are putting too much stress on the lugs, and of course you will get vibration.

Get them now please! ( I have em, NO vibration what so ever, smooth as can be at high rates of speed )
Old 05-16-2005, 01:51 PM

Went down to Discount Tire and had them put on plastic hub rings that they had in stock plus rebalance the rims. I also ordered metal rings but, for now the plastic ones should be fine. I still sense some subtle vibrations over 60mph but, I haven't driven it enough after the new balance to tell if that was just road conditions. Still whatever it is, it's a lot better than it was. I'll just have them check balance again once the metal rings come in.

Special Effects Performance in Albuquerque. Be careful. I'm not sayin it's a bad company, I just know that if they didn't know to order hub rings, and they said,"Oh, they'll be fine on the lugs." plus,"Oh, the vibration will probably go away once you break in the tires." then, I'd be afraid to have them set up a turbo or supercharger on my car.

Not to mention I had to basically prove to the guy that his tire ratio and diameter computations were wrong when he kept telling me that 225/40 18s would likely rub, even though stock was 215/45 17s.

/shrug

EDIT: You guys kick a$$ btw. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:53 PM

Location: Lillington, NC & Maryville, TN when I can get there

Justforwheels.com

Here is where I ordered my hub-cent rings when had my aftermarkets and they worked great, they ask your car model and then ask for the wheel model and match exactly and its only about $40.00 for the aluminum rings, and if i remember correctly shipping was pretty quick too.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:45 PM

Well crap. The slight vibration is still there around 60mph. Hub rings didn't fix it, nor being rebalanced. I have brand new Falken Ziex tires and brand new Tenzo R Gt5's.

I always thought Tenzo R's were decent rims. I can only assume there is a defect in the rims or tires but, jeez, how the hell do I find out which one?

I haven't been able to drive much over 65 with it yet to see if the vibration goes away at higher speeds. My Ford Taurus has stck rims and tires and it picks up some vibration around 80mph but then it goes away again around 90.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:34 PM

Location: Lillington, NC & Maryville, TN when I can get there

How long did you drive without the hub-cent rings? If you drove around quite a bit you might have possibly warped something.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:59 PM

hmmm.. have to ask.. how is your alignment? I know that some cars are very prone to vibration when the alignment is out. The 944 porsche being one of the biggest offenders. You could also have some bad tie rods, worn out bushings, or even be low on power steering fluid.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:26 AM

I may check the alignment but, as for the other stuff, I just put these new wheel/tires on 3 days ago. Prior to that was no problem. This car has less than 1k miles on it. So, I have to assume it's something w/ the wheels/tires that are new.

As for warping them from driving w/out hub rings, I don't think so because I only put on like 40miles all under 40mph.

I think I'm gonna buy a nice car jakc, put all the stocks on, drive it again, then assuming there's no vibration, start swapping out 1 rim/tire set at a time until I find the offender. If it's all 4 of them then I know it's just me being over sensitive to road conditions being felt on lower profile tires. Stock is 215/45 17, I put on 225/40 18s.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:19 AM

that is a good idea.. if the vibration is gone with the stock rims.. and there with the new.. you definatly have a problem pertaining to the new rims.