Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Vibration During Tire Break In?

Old 05-14-2005, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had Tenzoracing 18" Gt-5's mounted w/ new Falken Ziex tires. Driving home I didn't notice anything cause the traffic was bad and slow. Later I felt a slight patterned vibration at like 30-40mph. When I hit 60ish, all of a sudden the vibration becomes more pronounced. This vibration didn't exist with the stock rims and tires so, I assume 1 or more of the tires weren't balanced right. I called the store and they said to drive on it a week to break them in and then come in for rebalance.

I think the "break-in week" is a crock but maybe I'm overreacting.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:16 PM

well i havent gotten aftermarket tyres yet but i have gotten new tyres on multiple cars and me personally, i have not experienced that before.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:23 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

go and get balancing now, till vibration brake smth in suspension/steering.

They tell you some truth - in a while, after 200-300 miles it's good to do rebalancing, cause tire will setle down on the rim. But if they just balanced wheels - ut shouldn't been happened with your wheels.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:26 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Olds Cutlass

same thing is happening to me on my car. Just got new tires on my rims, SHAKE LIKE CRAZY!!! they say its becuz of hubcentric rings are needed... but will put them on and see if they make any difference... doubt it.. dang places that cant take responsibility for their actions.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:48 PM

Called the place up again and the said to bring it in Tuesday for rebalance.

Now, before the call I asked for a few guys in the store by name. All of them were out of the store except for the guy who did my balance.

Just as I suspected, the only reason the guy wanted me to wait a week was cause he's the only one there and busy as hell. They're closed tomorrow and the next day but, he agreed to rebalance if I bring them in when they're open on Tuesday.

Man, I wish more people could just be honest. Like is, "Hey man, I'm really swamped today. I'm sure they just need rebalancing. Can you bring them by next week?' so difficult to say?!

If the rebalance doesn't work I'll just have Discount tire order me some hubcentric rings. It'll only cost like $40 to order them and have them put on.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:50 PM

try changing front wheels and rear wheels wice verca. (rear on front, front on rear)
Old 05-14-2005, 04:20 PM

well.. for most cars, hubcentric rings are a MUST. If you do not have them, you are going to have vibrational issues.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:35 PM

what is hub-centric ring?
Old 05-14-2005, 05:25 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

1. there is no such thing as a "break in period." tires dont' just miraculously stop vibrating

2. you don't have hub rings? that = nono. you need 'em. you are putting some extreme strain on your wheel studs and they could break or the lugs could vibrate off causin some serious problems if you're on the highway.

QUOTE (dmitry)
what is hub-centric ring?
aftermarket rims, for the most part, come with a generic hole stamped out in the middle. this is to cut back on their costs. most auto companys have a different hub size. it would cost a ton of money in storeage to make the rims car specific.

so what they do is make a ring that goes on the hub of the car to make the rim fit properly on the car. our cars rims are held on the car with the hub. that makes them hub centric. the fact that he doesn't have the hub rings means he's making his car lug centric, and for a car thats not supposed to be lug centric, it could cause quite a bit of problems.

german/european cars are lugcentric. VW, Audi, Volvo, BMW are lug centric
Old 05-14-2005, 05:49 PM

Yes, you will feel vibration without the rings. ALWAYS make sure that when you buy aftermarket wheels, that they also send you hubcentric rings. RD hubs are wide so it looks like the wheels do not need the hub rings, but dont' be decieved, you will need them.