Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Tires...

Old 01-21-2005, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Its not a bad cheap summer/rain performance tire. Its just too much geared to be good in the rain as well. Its a "middle of the road" tire. They just don't grip as well as other performance tires that are only 20 bucks more.

Its because of the fact that acquiring grip in the rain means having a different tread style than having grip on the pavement. You can't have the best of both worlds.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:18 PM

don't look at me.. I wore out a set of Potenze RE750s in a year... without doing burnouts or even spinning the tyres in acceleration. Just got a set of Perelli Z zero Neros
Old 01-22-2005, 04:32 PM

i apologize casper is correct on that.

as to hamheads comment on not being able to tread water and have good handeling on dry pavement your incorrect. tread pattern dose play a good size role in the equation. unidirection tires offer the best pattern for grip and ability to disperse water. the pattern also dictates how much of a patch is actually hits the ground. the style that kuhmo has is very good one how ever i will agree that some tires with a similar tread pattern do perform better but it dosent stop there. what makes one tire handel better then the next and more expensive? the compond mixture used (granted some tires are just over priced junk) i.e. the higher the silica content the better the rubber will react to being wet and still remain sticky. the softer the compound the better the grip too, this is the reason why alot of tires develope temporary flat spots if they sit for a few days. softer compounds also wear out faster though too, so if you use them for daily driving they will wear out fast! as well as how they are re-enforced (sidewall stiffness) and the amount of air pressure.

it all boils down to the application. if your drag racing at a strip you want a treadless style tire with a softer compound to get the best grip and best times possible. hoosier is a good example of these. and CAN be used to autox but really arent the best for it especialy since they work best warmed up and its not like the scca provides a burnout pit for your 1 minute run

if your autoxing a soft compound tire with minimal tread is really the best. falcon azenis sports are the best example of a really great autoxing tire how ever higher end unidirectional tires also offer competitive performances, toyo proxies t1-s, yokohama avs es100's both offer outstanding dry pavement grip and exceptional water treading abilities. people also widely use kuhmo supra 712's they hold up well but fall short in some areas compaired to the others but is a VERY good bang for you buck.

as for street driving the softer the compound the quicker you'll have to buy new one's. any unidirectional tire would be the best option in these cases. how ever a stiffer sidewall for the occasional pothole is always a goodthing and the array of tire products out there for this category is enormus.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:17 AM

so i can get 215/60/15?

these right here... would this be a bad idea??? http://pepboys.crossmediaservices.com/pepb...=&L3CatID=13593

or futura brand??
Old 01-25-2005, 08:25 AM

these right here... would this be a bad idea??? http://pepboys.crossmediaservices.com/pepb...=&L3CatID=13593

or futura brand??