Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Tires...

Old 01-21-2005, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires...

I have kumho 195/50/15 on my car. i need to buy new tires but no one seems to carry those tires. also they dont seems to fit the rims right. they look like they are wide enough.

also i dont really care what brand tire i get but i dont want the profile to be much bigger than what is on there. i like the way they look. any thoughts?

Im new to the tire thing.. im new to everything... thanks.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:48 AM

Look here: www.discounttire.com or www.tirerack.com
Old 01-21-2005, 07:18 AM

is there a big difference in 50 from 60 profile??
Old 01-21-2005, 07:24 AM

as for which tire to choose, what are you planning on doing and how much are you willing to spend?

if your planning on auto crossing alot falcon azenis are about one of the best you can get and only run about 60 bucks a tire.

for regular daily driving i'm a big fan of toyo proxies t1-s. very sticky and awsome in the rain, have yet to hydroplane on these. also another good chioce to autocross with but these run about 99 per tire.

if your looking for a summer tire the size i would recommend for stock rims are 205/55 its a little wider and slightly taller so handeling will be a little bit better and you wont have a loss in speed.

if you want 50 series you will lose a little bit in acceleration and overall speed but either way i would not get 195's for anything summer related.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:30 AM

ok. so i dont HAVE to get 195?? i dont have stock rims i have 15" ICW racing rims. i really dont want to spend more then 200 for new tires. im cheap and i just started a new job and im riding on a donut. lol. what are the best tires i can get for that? size brand whatever. the 195 just dont look wide enough but i dont know what size i can get. and as far as the 50 series goes.. does that mean i should get bigger smaller?? what?
Old 01-21-2005, 09:36 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

lets compare sizes with STOCK tire size. US stock tire size is 195/55/15. with the tire size that you have right now (195/50/15), your speedometer reading is 3.3% too fast. When your speedometer reads 60 MPH, you are actually going 58 MPH.

you should put more rubber on the ground!

I'm gunna suggest a 205/50/15. This is almost identical to stock size. its' not quite "plus 1" sizing. prolly "plus ½" or somethin. your speedometer with this size tire will be 1.6% too fast. So, when your car says 60 MPH, you are actually traveling 59 MPH. not too bad.

(this information can be found out HERE)

now lets talk about tire prices. i'm giving prices from tire rack now.

cheapest tire you can pick up is a Kumho ECSTA 711. $46. H rated, directional tire.

next one is the Sumitomo HTR 200. $54 (on sale). H rated tire.

i'm gonna skip to the one i would recommend. Kumho ECSTA Supra 712. 2 different styles. one is a V rated tire. the other is a W rated tire.
V rated - $60. W rated - $61. i have the W rated one, and for the price you pay... it's a GREAT tire. (this is a tire recommended in summer. no snow!)

hope all this helps.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:59 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (SlipStream)
if you want 50 series you will lose a little bit in acceleration and overall speed but either way i would not get 195's for anything summer related.

You Gain acceleration with a lower profile tire but lose top end. Top end and acceleration are inversly proportional.

QUOTE (Sparticus)
cheapest tire you can pick up is a Kumho ECSTA 711. $46. H rated, directional tire.

i'm gonna skip to the one i would recommend. Kumho ECSTA Supra 712. 2 different styles. one is a V rated tire. the other is a W rated tire.
V rated - $60. W rated - $61. i have the W rated one, and for the price you pay... it's a GREAT tire. (this is a tire recommended in summer. no snow!)

hope all this helps.

I run the Kumho ECSTA 711 in the winter (so far so good with the snow) and the Kumho ECSTA supra 712 in the summer. I agree with Sparticus, for the price, these tires are not bad at all. I have no complaints (just DONT run the 712's in the snow).
Old 01-21-2005, 10:38 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

OMG don't set me ranting about those cheap Ecsta Supra 712s again. If you want something a little bit better than a stock tire get them... I guess if your cheap they aren't too bad. But geez... Yokohama Parada Spec II, Hankook Ventus HRII, Toyo Proxies, etc. are all a hell of a lot better tire than those icky things.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:43 AM

I've hear good things about the Falken 512's don't know if they come in your size though.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:17 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (hamhead)
OMG don't set me ranting about those cheap Ecsta Supra 712s again.

You've been the only person I've ever heard badmouth them. I've had those and some Nitto 450's on for over a year now, no issues at all. No excessive wear, no slipping unless I intend to, no chunking, gouging, abnormal wear, nothing.

Great set of tires.