Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

LoWeRiNg

Old 01-19-2005, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LoWeRiNg

--98 TIB--

if I buy 18" rims with 215-35-18 tires

how much can i lower my car Safely no rubbing ??/
Old 01-19-2005, 01:31 PM

From what I remember you will be lucky to not rub even with the car NOT lowered. Not to mention 18s are going to get damaged easily and the ride ill be terrible. If you search around here a bit you will see many threads on why 18's are not good at all, why 17's are really only for show, and why 16's are overall the best for looks and driveability.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:33 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

QUOTE (injected)
--98 TIB--

if I buy 18" rims with 215-35-18 tires

how much can i lower my car Safely no rubbing ??/

hmm not sure im running 17's and have mine 1.2" drop. There is a ton of space available under the wheel well but I've never seen 18's on a tib with those tires.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:35 PM

With 18" and 215-35-18 tires the
tire&rim will be the same size as i have now(stock) and I know I have room for lowering ?????????????????

like this much ------------------

---------------- (Actual size)
Old 01-19-2005, 01:38 PM

So the 35 series tires will have what a 1/2" side wall? Cant imagine it would have much more than that. I sure hope if you get those that you dont have any bumps in the road where you drive or you will be replacing rims out the wazoo
Old 01-19-2005, 01:45 PM

QUOTE (UltraTibby)
So the 35 series tires will have what a 1/2" side wall? Cant imagine it would have much more than that. I sure hope if you get those that you dont have any bumps in the road where you drive or you will be replacing rims out the wazoo

35% of 215mm is 75mm (2.95in)
Old 01-19-2005, 01:45 PM

^^^that space is almost 4 inches. Yes you have space for a drop, BUT you don't want to get ride of ALL those 4", you would be at the limit with 2" and those rims. Besides, do you really think you are going to be able to drive the car with such a low profile tire? I bet after repairing/changing your 3rd rim/tire, you are going to have enough and will set for smaller wheels.
Follow everyone's advice and don't go over 17" rims.
Just a side note, the springs that advertise the least lowering are Eibachs; on my own experience, they drop more than 1,2" and on the stock shocks the drop is a little more (don't ask why shocks make difference because they shouldn't; weight is carried by springs, not shocks BUT IT DOES exist a difference). I'd say Eibach advertise less than they actually dropo for the Tiburon and Elantra. You could easily pick a rim/tire size 1cm over your OEM size and be safe with Eibachs's or H&R's drop, but your odo readings will be incorrect. Of course if you die to that, you can buy a lower GR from kspec and return to your actual rim-tire/GR relation.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:15 PM

What Zman said.
If you MUST go with 18's get some coilovers,... BTW, you'll be adjusting them,.. ALOT
That is if you don't feel like turning,...

And using this: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Your new tires are about 1/2" Larger.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:06 PM

QUOTE (UltraTibby)
From what I remember you will be lucky to not rub even with the car NOT lowered. Not to mention 18s are going to get damaged easily and the ride ill be terrible. If you search around here a bit you will see many threads on why 18's are not good at all, why 17's are really only for show, and why 16's are overall the best for looks and driveability.

he hasn't stated whether he wanted an opinion on if he should buy 18's or not, hes asking about lowering so i dont know why you keep giving him information that hes not asking such as 16's are best for looks and drivability and telling him 18's arent good at all.. try to stay on topic of his question.

injected., i know someone with a second gen who lowered their car on springs over 2 inches and has 18s and it was drivable, rubbing sometimes if he turns hard but it was still driveable...just gotta be careful on turns
Old 01-19-2005, 06:12 PM

Lower springs + 18" wheels will make a bumpy ride. Maybe you should buy the wheels and try that out for a while before you buy the lowering springs to see how it goes..