Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Painting Calipers

Old 05-26-2001, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i painted my calipers throgh the stock rims without taking anything off, came out great, i used a long brush diped in high temp paintt
Old 05-26-2001, 05:48 PM

Okay...then final question. Brush Paint or spray? I guess brush is easier.
Old 05-28-2001, 05:42 AM

Just got done painting my calipers a pretty aluminum color. It only took 3 hours and was much easier than I thought. Didn't have to take off any parts, except for the wheels, ofcourse. The only hard part was getting to the jack and stuff in the trunk, which was under my mounted sub box. For five bucks worth of 1200 degree spray-paint and a little time I couldn't be happier. I wish I had some bigger brakes to go behind my 17's, but I'd rather buy some lowering springs and strut bars first.

If you need some simple DIY instructions, let me know so I can tell you while it's fresh in my head. wink.gif
Old 05-28-2001, 11:18 AM

Please do. Also. Any recomendations on what color for a Silver SE?
Old 05-28-2001, 02:46 PM

I think red calipers look good on a silver car. But white, blue, and silver might also look good. Depends on what color your rims are and what your offset color is.

Anyways...Here we go:

Materials Needed:
1 can 1200 degree spraypaint
Paint Thinner
Rags
2 Large heavy-duty trash bags
Jack, Tire Iron
1 well ventelated garage or one calm, warm day

Procedure:
*One wheel at a time
-Loosen lugs
-Jack up car
-Remove lugs and tire
-Cover everything but the caliper with trash bag including brake disc (Tuck trash bag into gorooves and cracks with tweezers or screwdriver)
-Clean calipers WELL with paint thinner and rag and let dry five minutes
-Apply one coat every 10 minutes or so for a total of three to five coats (I did three)
-If you have a heat gun and access to power I reccommend heat-curing each coat of paint
-I used the time in between coats to clean the inside of the rim that was off of the car
-I didn't use a clear coat because the aluminum color was allready pretty shiny and the clear coat is only 500 deg, not 1200
-Carefully Remove trash bag
-Replace wheel and lugs
-Lower car
-Torque Lugs
*Repeat 4 times

****Don't drive your car for a while. Even though all the wheels are back on your car in less than three hours, the paint still needs time to cure. At least 4 hours if not overnight. Also make sure to torque the lugs again after 50 miles or so******

Pat yourself on the back, you've just done what looks like a brake mod for five bucks! I had my girl drive around me so I could see what it looked like rolling, but if you find some reflective windows this should accomplish the same thing.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Peace, I'm out.
Old 05-29-2001, 07:24 AM

Tiburonelite-Where was that kit under? I can't find it on the website.
Old 05-29-2001, 07:57 AM

I'm thinking about getting some ADR white rims for my Red 2k tibby, any suggestions on what color I should paint my calipers? I was thinking red but that would be a little wierd wouldn't it? What do you guys think?