Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Window Issues

Old 05-29-2001, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Issues

Bear with me before any of you moderators move this topic...I post this question in the Suspension forum for a reason that will hopefully make itself apparent.

For almost a month, I've been having some issues with the passenger side door on my '97 Tib. If the window is completely rolled up and the door is opened and then shut, the window rests on the outside of the of the hard rubber weatherstripping (?) connected to the roof. Either rolling down the window and then rolling it back up, or a light pound on the window will cause it to re-seat in its correct position, beneath the weatherstripping. The window also seems to have a little more play in it than the driver's side one, when you wiggle the top edge with the door open and the window rolled up all the way. My first diagnosis was that the window was rolling up too far. I finally had the time last week to get my arse over to the dealership, and after leaving it there for the day, the service guy said that there are some bent rails with the window that need to be replaced. I'll have to take my car back sometime this week whenever they get the parts ordered in. I asked about what the parts were and what might have caused them to bend, but he didn't offer much.

Now here's my thought process...it seems a little odd to me that just these rails getting replaced will fix my problem 100%. Before the service guy assigned to my car had looked at it, a different person that checked me in took a look at the problem. He seemed like he was familiar with this issue, like it's something he's seen before or is common with Tiburons. I say this because he knew what was going wrong as soon as I said "it's a problem over here..." and opened the passenger door to show him the problem. I haven't heard anything about people having this problem before, and haven't seen anything in this forum on it, either. When this person looked at the problem, he said that it seemed like the whole door was hanging incorrectly.

This problem is a new development with my car. It's never done anything like this before, hasn't been in any major (read: frame-bending) accidents, and my driving style hasn't changed much over the years. The most recent addition I've done has been the set of strut tower braces from SR. Is it possible that these could be culprit? Could these somehow be either a) twisting my frame so that the window came out of line, or cool.gif is not allowing my frame to twist, and as a result is putting stress on parts not originally designed to handle flex or pressure?

I assume / hope that the dealership service techs would be able to discern if these braces are causing the problem...surely the hood of my car was opened at least once during the course of the day it was there, and someone would have noticed a gleaming aluminum bar that wasn't in their shop manuals. No one said anything about the bars, or about them having any sort of warranty affliction, so I guess I'm in the clear there. I just wanted to open these questions up to the masses to see what the rest of you know / think about the matter.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2001, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But who wants a upper door frame. Personally I think it looks bad as hell! A small price to pay wink.gif
Old 05-29-2001, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Iago-

My dad had this problem with his tibby, and had it fixed twice under warranty.

The problem is in the inner door panel. The "fastners" come loose from age, and allow the window glass to "wobble"

You can fix it if you remove that inner door pannel and replace all the fastners. When done the inner door panel is nice and tight and does not allow the window to "wobble".

I hope this helps.