Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Help! Who Has Completed The 5-lug Conversion?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUOTE (optimoprime @ May 6 2009, 10:32 AM)
^ you need 5lug rotors unless your turning the ones on the spindles.

What are you talking about? Didn't I just get done saying:
QUOTE (Red @ May 5 2009, 04:52 PM)
Whole GK Knuckle assembly from an '03 or '04 4-cylinder only, which should already include:
- Rotor

- Caliper
- 5-lug Hub / Bearing

Yeah, uh, I think I did. If you have the ENTIRE GK knuckle assembly, then you got a rotor, you got a caliper, and by default, it will be a 5-lug pattern. I even made sure to mention that any intelligent person should check the rotor to ensure it's good (each person can decide if that means "it's ok as-is", or it needs to be turned, or perhaps even replaced) and should probably pop the buckage to get at least new pads.

Technically, you don't even need new calipers for the rear knuckles - at least the stock RD1 calipers are the same parts as the calipers I got from the '04 GK parts donor. Now of course, if you wanted to do an even bigger brake upgrade while doing the 5-lug swap, your caliper / rotor needs will change.

And RotorPro can lick my hind-quarters IMO. Hell, I'd rather spend half (or less) of the money for a set of Autozone Duralast factory replacement rotors with the lifetime warranty (actually have set of these on my Maxima; they're pretty damned decent). If you want an upgrade, at least one vendor worth the money spent is EBC - they make a set of front and rear GK rotors that are dimpled and slotted and are pretty substantial. There are certainly other options as well.

I also went for a set of Axxis ceramic pads. The EBC rotors and the Axxis pads will be in the pictures coming very shortly (should have all the pics finished by later tonight.)

Rained pretty much all day yesterday, and isn't much better today. This has slowed me down a bit in the picture taking arena. And I have yet another frozen bolt between the knuckle and a locator arm now.

Advice that will show up in the resultant DIY - coat these bolts with lithium white grease or something, because waiting for PB to work it's magic sucks 02.gif
Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 PM

For completeness sake of this thread (in case someone finds it via searching)

DIY is here: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=31647
Old 06-10-2009, 08:52 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

On that note...

closed!