Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Help! Who Has Completed The 5-lug Conversion?

Old 04-14-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I think i'm in need of seeing this in person one of these days if you wanna meet up red?
Old 04-15-2009, 10:23 AM

It's not a show car wink1.gif Missing clearcoat? Check. An occasional shopping cart or hail dent? Check. Dirty carpet? Check!! Hell, it's not even fast yet!

I've continually got more parts coming or waiting to be put on, and it's a solid year away from being "done". But hey, if you ever find yourself in Lou-evil, just hit me up via PM and I'll get the email pretty quick.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:14 PM

Started taking it apart yesterday, and one of the control arm bolts siezed in the bushing. In order to get it taken apart, I had to basically destroy the rubber insert in the control arm. And Hyundai doesn't sell new bushings, you have to replace the entire control arm.

Ghey.

So I'm gonna gut all four control arm bushings and replace them with solid urethane. But it's coming apart, so there will be pictures very shortly smile.gif
Old 04-30-2009, 08:43 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

these are all the parts you need for the rear axle for 5-lug. problem is that most of these parts have frozen bolts and most yards around here that pull parts for you wont torch em out because gas tank is back there. and then any that have tibs and you could pull yourself you dont have a torch to cut em out with.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:33 AM

Depends on the junk yard I suppose. I had no problem pulling all the parts from a combination of a flipped '04 GK GT and a crunched up '04 XD. But it seems some water got in somehow, and rusted the lower knuckle bolt to the front control arm on the passenger side.

So, probably worth putting some white lithium grease all over the big huge bolts in the unthreaded areas, just to make sure you can eventually get the damned things back apart if you need to.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:46 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Yay, finish this thread guys, plz!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:16 PM

i have front and rear spindles if anyone is interested in completing this mod. i have no interest to go any further. PM me if you have intrest in

2x GK front knuckles
2x GK rear knuckles

what you need to finish is

rear sub-frame, all rear suspension arms,sway bar,links and brackets,new rotors
Old 05-05-2009, 02:52 PM

You don't need any different sway bar or links; you don't specifically need any new rotors.

I guess i'll start the list of things you actually DO need:

Required Front Hardware
Whole GK Knuckle assembly from an '03 or '04 4-cylinder only, which should already include:
- Rotor
- Caliper
- 5-lug Hub / Bearing

Required Rear Hardware
Entire rear subframe crossmember from any '01+ Elantra or '03+ Tib GK
The four bolts that hold that crossmember to the car unibody (they're different than the ones you already have!)
The four control arms from the same car as the crossmember
The two huge bolts, four washers, and two nuts that hold the control arms to the rear knuckles
The rear knuckles from any '03+ Tib GK, which should already include:
- Rotor
- Caliper
- 5-lug hub / Bearing

Those are the stock parts you'll need, plus the obvious inclusion of new 5-lug wheels. It's probably a good idea to have the rotors checked to make sure they're in good shape, and of course it's a good idea to grab some new brake pads.

When I finish all the pics, I'll be posting a complete DIY thread.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:32 AM

^ you need 5lug rotors unless your turning the ones on the spindles. but i would suggest just getting some rotorpro's rotors all the way around.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:04 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ Rotor pros are gone as far as I know. Their website is just generic now with garbage links to other brake related stuff.

Also their ebay store no longer lists Hyundai or Tiburons and a search yields no results.

Great work with figuring out this swap I can't wait for some pics.