Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Euro Tib Strutt Bar Installation.

Old 08-01-2005, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hope you guys dont mind if i pick your brains. i installed my strutt bar today (sparco) and had to move an electrical sensor that was bolted to a bracket on the left strutt tower out of the way. i did this by just bending the bracket out of the way and asked on the uk forums if this was ok. to be told this is the knock sensor or the acceleration sensor and it has to be kept flat and level, this i did by just bending the bracket back to horizontal.

i then had a trawl through webtech and this site to see if i could suss out what it was and what it does.

this is a british tib engine bay, note in the position where your guys accel sensor (right strutt tower as you look at the engine) is theres nothing, also the brake fluid reservoir is on the left side along with the sensor i had to move to below the strutt bar. also if you look in the right yellow circle there is a grey connector that has been siliconed over and doesnt connect to anything.

so, easy i thought, they just swapped over the engine bay configuration due to changing it to right hand drive, and they have put the accel sensor on the other strutt tower, but....

as you can see from the above pics. my acceleration sensor (if thats what it is). looks nothing like the one in american tibs, (found this out reading a post from reds about moving his). also there is a small bore pipe going from the sensor to the intake manifold as well as it being connected electrically to the loom.

so........ do any of you guys know

1. is this the accelerator sensor? if not what is it?

2. are american ones connected to the intake manifold?.

3.how does it work (if accel sensor).

4. does the blanked off grey connector on the right have anything to do with it?, could this be the wiring to a sensor that isnt fitted to british tibs?.

thanks in advance if anyone can throw any light on the matter. be nice to find out exactly whats going on.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:24 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I was going to point you to Redz DIY and then saw you already went there. That is alot different than ours!
Old 08-01-2005, 05:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i think it is the accel sensor.

The acceleration sensor is attached in the engine compartment on the driver's side. While driving, the rough road condition is sensed by the acceleration sensor and the ECM uses this input signal to avoid the wrong misfire detection.

are you noticing any problems?
Old 08-01-2005, 05:33 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

Steve,

I'll look up pics of mine but I think it's pretty much the same setup. I think it's a knock sensor & so long as it's hard-mounted to the strut-tower, you should be right.

Mine was also in the way of my brace, so I bolted it up just over a lil' from it's original position.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

the knock sensor is in the engine head. its not going to be a knock sensor.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:37 PM

so the acceleration sensor senses rough running of the car (over uneven ground) and if it detects it doesnt send a signal saying the engine is misfiring?.

no problems noticed, although when i asked on the uk forums they said i have to keep the original orientation so i bent the bracket back up to keep the sensor level. it is very close to the strutt bar though so im worried if i do get onto an uneven surface whether the sensor will knock on the strutt bar and send weird readings to the ecu.

also re being a knock sensor my chilton manual and webtech say this is attached to the engine casing, but is it the same on british cars?
Old 08-01-2005, 05:40 PM

This is a Knock REFERENCE sensor.
The actual Knock sensor is on the block, this sensor, double checks and make sure it's not just a bump in the road that is making the Knock sensor go off or if the engine is really knocking,...

yeovilsteve There's a part # on the top of the sensor.

Can you tell me what it is? If so, I can tell you if it's the same sensor that we have.
Does look really different though,..
Old 08-01-2005, 05:50 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

Well, whatever it is, this is how mine is currently set up...
Old 08-01-2005, 06:01 PM

exactly what is printed on the sensor is as follows.

KEFICO
39330-22000

does that help?

oz, that doesnt look anything like mine either?

do you guys have anything connected to the mystery grey connector in my pic?.

edit. also why would it be connected to the intake manifold?

another pic with the bar in place.

Old 08-01-2005, 06:15 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Hmm, since when did Sparco make strut bars for us?