Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

They're Here! (genesis Coupe)

Old 02-12-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Yea, I was really pissed when I figured out it wouldn't be a hatchback....
Old 02-12-2009, 03:08 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

no shit, i kinda thought they were going to be a hatch like the tibs.. bummer

remember when i was b--ing all the time about the GCoupe? (probably yes) this was one of my complaints. they could have easily done an improved version of the gk hatch. i know why they didn't, because without the hatch you have a connection in the rear like a strut bar for better performance and handling. they wanted to mimic the G35 and they want their performance ratings to be as good if not better. still though, try fitting something from IKEA in a GCoupe and it'll turn out inconvenient.

yeah you can stuff anything in a hatch by folding the seats down. baby seats, furniture, boxes to ship. i made deliveries for for my restaurant and they wanted to lend me the Chef's Van. to their disbelief in "sh-tty beater Hyundais", i said no way and loaded $400 worth of food in my tiburon.

now that i'm sure the Tiburon will be back in some shape or form in the near future, it doesn't bother me as much.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

It is called the Gen Coupe, not the Gen Hatch.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:51 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

cargo space increases dramatically with a hatchback.... and it looks a hell of a lot better.

Oh no doubt. I once fit a couch as long as the tiburon IN the tiburon. Granted half of it was sticking out the hatch/back but it fit. And I drove 40 miles with it home. (Shoulda snaped a couple pictures).
Old 02-12-2009, 06:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

haha doesnt it really matter whats on the other end? who cares if its not a hatchback, still a sick nasty car. Yea it may look better as a hatch, but still the same to me IMO
Old 02-12-2009, 07:21 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Elantra 2000

QUOTE (SOCKS @ Feb 12 2009, 01:51 PM)
LOL, then they are dead wrong.. lmao.gif lmao.gif

of course, you are in canada.

there wouldn't be a point in turbocharging a oem car under 8psi. specially with that small of a turbo.

got my info from butt loads on compiled info at the gencoupe forums.

the theta motor in the gen coupe is a 2.0L with 9.4:1 compression. N/A the motor would prob have less hp than a beta from the low compression. 3psi wouldn't put the car close to 200hp

No offence but I'll wait for real evidence ... and I don't see why Hyundai would lie to itself!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Banned

they wouldnt lie to themselves, but just cuz they are hyundai 'techs' doesnt mean they know jack.. ive talked to autozone techs before, you should hear what they have to say about certain things. lmao.gif

ive heard crazy information, not even regarding the coupe, from hyundai techs.

3psi just makes no sense, at ALL..
Old 02-12-2009, 07:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^^I agree, I don't know squat about turbos but only 3psi on such a small turbo doesn't make much sense.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Maybe not 3 PSI, but I'm starting to wonder...

"While some turbochargers sacrifice smooth drivability with high operating boost pressures in the 20 psi range, Genesis Coupe uses a refined, low-boost calibration for smoothness and efficiency," said Derek Joyce, Genesis Coupe product manager. "We could have opted solely for big performance numbers, but our focus for the 2.0T was a more balanced package."

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/30/hyundai...-genesis-coupe/

While I look some more, here's some other highlights about the engine and boost.

We know most of it.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes...look/index.html

The base coupe's 2.0-liter all-aluminum turbo four-cylinder is the fruit of the same Global Engineering Manufacturing Alliance that produced the 291-horse, 2.0-liter turbo in the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and 300-horse, 2.4-liter turbo that powers the Dodge Caliber SRT-4. Output from the north/south-oriented engine will be significantly less-212 horses at 6000 rpm and 217 pound-feet of torque at 2500 rpm-to give buyers a reason to pick the V-6. Hyundai did engineer some headroom for the tuning and drifting set; the blown and intercooled I-4 features a low 9.3:1 compression and can take boost up to 29 psi.

Some interesting specs... I don't see the actual boost level here. Is it shown in any of the videos? Is there a stock boost gauge?

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/mod...car/?car=190696

http://genesisforums.org/hyundai-genesis-c...2-0l-turbo.html
^^^
Here they are saying 6.1 PSI by doing some calculations.

I'll do some more looking when I have time, I'm just doing google searches for stuff like...

Genesis Coupe PSI

Genesis Coupe Boost Level

Ect.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:26 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

Looking on HMA in the boost pressure wavelength analysis section for hyundai mecahnics it clearly shows a 1.0bar reading.
Now according to a bar to psi converter I found on the net 1.0 bar is equal to ~14.5psi.