Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

They're Here! (genesis Coupe)

Old 02-15-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Elantra 2000

I can't remember where I read it but Hyunai upped the boost to 29 PSI before the engine broke down ... it's not known what broke down though.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:50 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

id also like to add that the internals of the 2.0t are supposedly good for up to 29psi which is cool

also if the stock is 3psi that would mean the car has soo much more potential than we all previously thought, we'll have to see. socks could be right. more info will surely be available soon
Old 02-15-2009, 10:27 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

jal, you referring to Speed-Factor's turbo Elantra run at the track where a piston shot through the firewall? good stuff. yeah this motor will be able to handle something around there without problems. i still think a bigger turbo will do wonders and you won't even have to touch anything else unless you want a barf bag under the seats.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:02 PM

no no, I'm talking about the Gen Coupe, it can safely take up to 29 PSI ...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes...look/index.html

Hyundai did engineer some headroom for the tuning and drifting set; the blown and intercooled I-4 features a low 9.3:1 compression and can take boost up to 29 psi.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Banned

so if those calcs of 3psi are right.. that is some shitty IC setup.. loses over HALF the pressure?@#@!# by the time it reaches the IM.. thats crazy.

and that whole 29psi thing.. i am assuming thats speculated, cuz that 13T turbo can't even push out anywhere near 29psi..

29psi is REALLY high for a oem turbo motor, specially one with such high compression of 9.4:1
Old 02-16-2009, 08:21 AM

yeah, the turbo on the 2.0t won't go up to 29 PSI, but Hyundai says the engine will support up to 29 PSI ...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes...look/index.html
Old 02-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Banned

yeah, i've seen that a bunch of times, but it seems more like a spread rumor than anything.

if the turbo they are using would never push 29psi, how would it be tested. and if someone actually did 'test' it with a different turbo, or w/e and it blew up at 29psi, doesn't really prove any claim.

being able to run 29psi and have longevity would be hard to test when the car was only available for testing at the time.

any turbo car could be richened up and spike 29psi a few times.

thats all i'm really saying, alot of people are hung on the 'can support 29psi thing'
Old 02-16-2009, 09:28 AM

True ... it's all about the tune anyway, I think we can agree that even at 15 PSI if the car is badly tuned it won't last long.

As for the OEM turbo ( didn't knew it was a 13T btw) can't probably go above 16PSI.

Anyway, seeing how innefficient the charge piping is, the best mod could be right there, a good intercooler and some modifications on the charge piping setup, 4 PSI lost is WAY too much!

After that we need to see how easy it is to up the boost on that thing and if the ECU can handle it, at least the MAP sensors can, on HMA they are rated up to 242 kpa (2.42 Bar).
Old 02-16-2009, 09:58 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

The 29PSI thing isn't a rumor, I've posted it recently too, with the direct quotes.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/30/hyundai...-genesis-coupe/

The base coupe's 2.0-liter all-aluminum turbo four-cylinder is the fruit of the same Global Engineering Manufacturing Alliance that produced the 291-horse, 2.0-liter turbo in the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and 300-horse, 2.4-liter turbo that powers the Dodge Caliber SRT-4. Output from the north/south-oriented engine will be significantly less-212 horses at 6000 rpm and 217 pound-feet of torque at 2500 rpm-to give buyers a reason to pick the V-6. Hyundai did engineer some headroom for the tuning and drifting set; the blown and intercooled I-4 features a low 9.3:1 compression and can take boost up to 29 psi.

The direct quote from the press release in there...

"While some turbochargers sacrifice smooth drivability with high operating boost pressures in the 20 psi range, Genesis Coupe uses a refined, low-boost calibration for smoothness and efficiency," said Derek Joyce, Genesis Coupe product manager. "We could have opted solely for big performance numbers, but our focus for the 2.0T was a more balanced package."

That's from the Genesis Coupe product manager, a bit more than rumor. LOL

I personally could care less, leaves more room for easy upgrades. I'd like to know more about the ECU though. Any news about Hyundai offering stage upgrade kits?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Banned

thats still a rumor on the 29psi. has nothing to do with the other quote.

yeah 4psi loss is terrible. would be real nice to get my hands on a 4 cyl gen coupe and offer a cheap IC kit soon after their release instead of the 800$+ kits HKS and others will be offering..