Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

This could be an interesting new car, supercharged Miata

Old 06-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Originally Posted by Tibbi
A LS1 is roughly 430lbs acceding to Hot Rod Magazine

The 13b-REW in twin turbo config is around 375lbs according the original sales brochure. I know a short block ships under 175lbs so most of that is harness, manifold and turbo/hardware. I want to say that my brother's old street ported n/a was under 250 lbs.
LS1 Long Block is 397lbs, with manifolds I think 430 is probably close. It's supposedly 481lbs with all accessories installed, including the wiring harness and ECU.

Everything I've read about the 13bt's weight would indicate that the turbo bits are pretty heavy on their own, and brings the total installed weight to basically within 50-60 pounds of each other. The N/A is quite a bit lighter obviously. Of course, I've never handled a 13b at all, so I can't speak from personal experience and I'm going off of other people's "facts" on the internet.

From Rotary Resurrection:

A complete longblock minus a/c, p/s, and clutch, will usually weigh 350-400 palleted depending on year and model
A pallet and straps probably weigh around 30 lbs, maybe 50 at most.

I pack my extra Alpha 1.6l around my garage by myself, so I know it must be a lot lighter than either lol.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

HKC, the NB miata got four stars in the euroNCAP crash test. The RD tib was not tested, but used car safety ratings all rate it as very unsafe in real world accidents.

Don't worry, the X3 is a death trap too.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:45 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Really! I just don't know how someone could survive something that small! I would think that the RD has an unsafe element, but that it would be much safer than any Miata, especially a convertible.

I agree, the Accent/Excel is a sardine can.

Were massive oil leaks, poor mpg, and the lack of torque part of the brochure also?

And where is your rep bar mister?

^Do you fall for the American standard that a car's value is based primarily on its size?

I don't see what the fuss about roadsters is. There are better roadsters to spend $30,000 on like the BMW Z# or the Porsche Boxster. Okay so the Boxster S costs $75,000. Are there THAT many people that can afford that much on such a tiny, Japanese car? Apparently yes so why are we not one of them lol?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:27 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Originally Posted by Tibbi
For the Mazda or the Chevy? I lost track here.
Lol so more power(tq per liter means bullshit its like the Honda guys sayin they have a better motor cuz they make 100hp per liter.....when the v8 makes 3x as much power)

Ability to buy parts at 7/11

Better mpg

Much much much larger aftermarket/ease of tuning

All while not sounding like a lawn mower getting raped by a angry can of bees?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:50 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

There are better roadsters to spend $30,000 on like the BMW Z3 or the Porsche Boxster. Okay so the Boxster S costs $75,000

The point of the miata is that it is a fun sports car. It's not designed to be blisteringly fast at all, it's entirely about being fun and maneuverable, which it does well.

Were massive oil leaks, poor mpg, and the lack of torque part of the brochure also?

lel
Old 06-06-2012, 08:05 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by faithofadragon
tq per liter means bullshit its like the Honda guys sayin they have a better motor cuz they make 100hp per liter.....when the v8 makes 3x as much power
And why does it? Couldn't be displacement.

Better mpg
An average of 4 mpg, especially with a stock figure under 25 hardly constitutes economy.

If that was even an argument in the tuning world we'd all be swapping alphas into tibs.

Ability to buy parts at 7/11
Turbonator and fuel shark hardly count

Much much much larger aftermarket/ease of tuning
The quantity of aftermarket support isn't even arguable considering the volume of sales. For every rotary engine ever made there's been something like 650 trajillion Lxx V8's made by GM. Naturally there will be a larger saturation of support. How so "ease" though? As far as the aftermarket experience goes, a properly ported n/a motor can make 300+ to the wheels with only material removal and proper fueling (and maybe apex seals if you want to get crazy). In reality there are so few parts required that it negates a lot of the headaches of tuning a piston engine. The only time a build gets retarded is boosting an NA motor or upping to a 20b.

All while not sounding like a lawn mower getting raped by a angry can of bees?
Yeah, I'll hand you that it's not a pretty sounding motor
Old 06-06-2012, 10:17 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T

why not a turbo like the mazda speed
Old 06-06-2012, 11:59 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

So....if I remove a little bit of material and properly port the cylinder heads of a lsx and with proper fuel how much hp can the lsx make?

A lsx can make 300+ using nothin but gasoline mixed with the tears of jdm fan boys

If I alpha made anywhere near the power a lsx can make while still making that kind of mpg I'd swap it in a heartbeat
Old 06-06-2012, 12:59 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

The LS1, the motor of arguments origin, is rates stock at ~350. However reading at the wheels at what point does power and weigh come into equilibrium mods included? (1:1)

An N/A 13b it's pretty early, under the 300 mark mods and all. It's not the cheaper of the 2 options, but it is the lighter, hence the original claim.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

For the record, my LS1 T/A gets OVER 30 mpg on the highway and still puts down over 300 at the tires. /end