Vendor's Booth: General
Sponsor:   Hyundai Aftermarket
This forum is for general vendors to talk about items they sell, and for users to talk
about their experiences/problems with buying automotive parts.

'Q' about the already-tuned ECU

Old 04-18-2003, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that the low boost 8psi setup will work fine with the stock fuel pump and ECU controlling it.... BUT to make 100% sure, it willhave to be tested fist.

I know that the Stock ECU does make changes to how the fuel pump flows, but I am not sure exactly how this is done..... if only it ws July already - I would have my Gen3 tib already, and would have been able to tell you, if you wish we can test this with an osciliscope and other test equipment.... but once again it is down to R&D again.

At the end of it all - the best wayto run this setup is with a fuel pressure regulator, and a return line. The costs of this are not much even If i have to ship this to you, as a kit. I suggest using this over any other method for reliability and full control under all circumstances.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:34 AM

Chris, have you figured out if the ECU's are the same? And I thought I remember you saying that you didn't necessarily have to change the fuel rail and run a return line on the 03 Tib (returnless) as long as you didn't run over the recommended boost setting and run the 550cc injectors.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:43 AM

Refonbass --

I checked the ECU numbers and they are indeed different, this is when I found out that the I4 ECU controls the fuel pump totally differently to the older models (seems like Hyundai is going backwards in this respect...)

For reliability reasons, I would not run the setup with the stock fuel control system even at low boost. Iwouldn;t want to take a chance with a blown motor.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:53 AM

thanks.. oops didn't mean to post same thing twice..
so now you're saying its not a good idea to run the turbo on the stock fuel setup at all, just to be safe? So basically those of us with the returnless system need to do what exactly? about how much price wise.. to be able to use the CNK turbo kit?
thanks
Old 04-18-2003, 06:05 AM

Refonbass --

With the CNK kit you already get a HUGE fuel pump with the other parts, so what you do is remove the stock pump, and run a seperate ignition controlled (switched power) lne to the pump to switch it on when the ignition is turned on (you can also link it up to your immobilizer aswell) this pump will cost you nothing as it is already included in the CNK turbo kit.

Then you need to run a fuel line return back to the tank which will cost you probably $10.00 if that for the line.

The only thing you need to replace is the fuel rail, and injectors --- the injectors you need to replace in any case and get 550's as my supplier no longer carries these.

A Fuel rail froma Beta2 shouldn't cost much, and then there you have it... the stock ECU will still control ignition, and injector open time, but not the fuel pump. This part of the circuit you have bypassed.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:21 AM

ok.. what I'm confused about is that you keep referring to the Beta 2, the I4 in the 03 IS a Beta 2.
Also I would need a new FPR as well correct?
Old 04-18-2003, 06:22 AM

also.. wheres the best place to get 550cc injectors? whats the approximate cost of those?
Old 04-18-2003, 06:41 AM

Refonbass -

The reason I refer to it as the Beta 2 is for the return type fuel system. Technically incorrect, but I call the Beta two the engine with the return type fuel system and all the components as in the 2000 2.0 16 Engine bay.

The I4 is the same engine and component layout except for a few things like the returnless fuel system for one.

The injectors I would get from RC Engineering --- pricing I have no idea though - can't be more than around $300.00 for 4 or so.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:42 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

RC Engineering injectors tend to be around US$88/each, so ~$350 for em.

The beta1 engine is return fuel system, uses the older Bosch ecm, and is equipted with a MAF sensor in the states, the Beta2 is returnless, has the newer Seimens ecm, and uses a MAP sensor instead. Thats about the biggest differences I can think of, other than the crank nose being different I believe, requiring a different flywheel but I could be wrong on this.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:32 AM

beta i an beta II cams are different as well

the beta 1 has a more aggresive exhaust cam but a weaker intake cam compared to the beta II

the beta I has a different oil pressure regulator

a beta I flywheel can be used on a beta II with a spacer

a BETA II flywheel CANNOT be used on a beta II

the Beta II has a larger intake manifold

The coil pack is slightly different as well

Some of the sensors of the BETA II return higher values than the ones in the BETA I... therefore they cannot be transfered to a BETA I because it will trip a CEL due to the higher and lower values.

Thats all i can remember for now...