Vendor's Booth: General
Sponsor:   Hyundai Aftermarket
This forum is for general vendors to talk about items they sell, and for users to talk
about their experiences/problems with buying automotive parts.

Maintec Gt Or System?

Old 12-23-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I suppose a tube is a tube, but AEM fitment is really good and the quality is the best and their filters are great and now they have the big dry flow filters which i hear if they get dirty you can just hose it off and they if they're dented they pop back out of place but i haven't experienced the dry flow filter yet. it comes equipped in every new aem. some people by the bypass filter. i wasted $160 ($60 for bypass and $100 for intake) messing around with it--then my intake fell into the highway somewhere and some cars ran it over behind me.

the intake will not suck up water unless completely submerged like under a bridge or in a flash flood. but you could keep a screwdriver handy in case you ever saw it coming.

unless someone corrects me, the difference between 4-1 and 4-2-1 is you'll have better pickup. in 4-1 you will have better pickup at higher rpms and 4-2-1 is you'll have beter pickup at low rpm's. just so you know my car used to be automatic before it was converted.

i really prefer low end smile.gif it's not like you're going to be racing from one light to the next so you might as well have all the low end you can get. 1.8L cam to aid!

don't take my word for it, but if i were in your spot i would go right with the regular SFR headers. you might want to get some feedback and post if you are actually ordering them so redzman can help you with purchase and availability. i always make sure they know i'm ordering something first.

i heard good and bad things about header wrap. i've seen them on rally cars, but when it comes down to it ceramic coating is the best thing you can possibly do. go with black ceramic coating. the silver one fades out overtime. when headers change temperatures they rust. coating might be pricey, but it's well worth it.

i have to warn you though, high flow cat or not, without an polished intake manifold, big bore throttle body, an enlarged exhaust, you really won't notice a difference if any at all.

you have a 1999, so if you are getting an exhaust you will need to have both your oxygen sensors extended with headers, get a glasspack, and have a high flow cat welded into it. you can buy good cheap catalytic converters from ebay. i got a Catco for $60. Magnaflow cats are good too. it's really quite simple, but a lot of things to knock out to get it right. i don't know about european standards, but here's how we have a good setup:

header>downpipe>bank1 sensor 1>high flow cat>bank 1 sensor 2> glasspack/midpipe>muffler

the ONLY time i have ever ever EVER lost money on anything related to 1. the internet, and 2. shipping, was with flyryde. thumbsdown.gif
Old 12-23-2007, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the advice cool.gif
I'm buying the headers but only in march or so, for now I'm just trying to get good info!
Glasspack? That's the resonator right?
As for the exhaust pipings...probably 2.5" will be too big for now but probably worth, considering future mods?....heavy N/A mods or even S/C
Btw, when u say the pipings are 2.5" or 3", is it the inner or outter diameter of the pipe?
Old 12-23-2007, 05:41 PM

^^inner i believe

QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Dec 23 2007, 03:48 PM)
like socks, i annoy people too when i don't understand how they could settle for anything less than the best.

tell me about it, like 19 replys dedicated to the OEM foglights, lol.

QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Dec 23 2007, 05:36 PM)
-then my intake fell into the highway somewhere and some cars ran it over behind me.

unless someone corrects me, the difference between 4-1 and 4-2-1 is you'll have better pickup. in 4-1 you will have better pickup at higher rpms and 4-2-1 is you'll have beter pickup at low rpm's. just so you know my car used to be automatic before it was converted.

i heard good and bad things about header wrap. i've seen them on rally cars, but when it comes down to it ceramic coating is the best thing you can possibly do. go with black ceramic coating. the silver one fades out overtime. when headers change temperatures they rust. coating might be pricey, but it's well worth it.

i have ran over my AEM two piece knock-off... not fun lol

i thought the 4-1 where the better ones for low end torque.....?

i have my headers wrapped, very cheap. for very dramatic heat reduction.

ps. 500 posts w00t
Old 12-24-2007, 12:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The Cold Air Intake that SFR sells would probably be even better than the Injen. Comes with nice T-bolt clamps and everything.

I have always LOVED the Maintec header but just to much for me.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:52 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

The AEM CAI has been dyno proven to be the best intake system for our cars....Is it really THAT much better than your custom dryer hose? YES, it is. This has been proven time and time again..
How can you start a thread like this where you are about to spend an extra $400 for the GT headers where you won't even notice a difference, yet you won't spend $150 on a good intake? That seems a little off...

Everything you want to know about exhausts .. http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=24043
Old 12-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Banned

^^^^thats what i was trying to tell him ROFL