Vendor's Booth: General
Sponsor:   Hyundai Aftermarket
This forum is for general vendors to talk about items they sell, and for users to talk
about their experiences/problems with buying automotive parts.

Importshark Short Shifter

Old 03-12-2007, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Take some pictures of the shifter and spring area. There's no way that that tiny bushing will give you 1 inch of play.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I'll take a picture when I get out of work at 10 tonight. I honestly think it could give me that kind of play though if it slips sideways from where it should be, because at that point you can rotate a lot more without it pushing on the shift lever.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:59 AM

Alright, that's the play in 2nd gear. Doesn't look huge right there obviously, but that translates to over an inch at the shift handle. I figured out what's happening specifically too.

Since the bushing is designed for the U shaped stud it rotates when I push to the left or right. Basically it's lined up like this (||) (the || designate which way the flat sides align) when it's at rest, and when I push to either side it rotates like this (=) and the stud pushes against the side of the O mount that the bushing sits in. That play where it slides over and then pushes is the problem I'm having, and there's no way this shifter should be using a stock bushing.

Should this have been included or not?
Old 03-18-2007, 06:26 PM

There is no bushing, I have an ARK shifter in my 99 which I've had for a long time, no bushing, and I just went and looked at the stock shifter, no bushing. The only difference I see between your picture is that your springs do not have a rubber coating on them, which really doesn't make any difference cause they wear off anyway.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:56 PM

Yeah, I know there's no bushing there. smile.gif Let me try to explain again.

The stud that is circled in blue has a bushing and goes down into a circular bracket on a lever that moves the shifting mechanism left and right, ok? The stock bushing that goes on the stock shifter is U shaped because the stud on the stock shifter is U shaped and fits into it so the bushing CANNOT rotate. However, on both the ark (pictured here circled in Blue because it's easier to find a picture of) and the IS STS the stud there is Spherical. This means that when you place the stock bushing on there the bushing can rotate around the stud. This is a problem because when I move the shifter left or right this bushing rotates so that the stud can slide around in it. The stud then slides until it hits the side of the bracket and that's where the play ends.

Now, if you have the aftermarket bushing (look above, it's circled) that completely surrounds the stud, then you don't have this problem and it will function correctly.

If you have a phone number and want me to try to explain this that way, PM me, because this isn't functioning the way it should be right now, and I'm sure it's installed correctly. Socks agrees with me on this after I explained it to him, there should be another bushing.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:20 AM

Ye, I understand ...... There is no bushing for that, I'm also using the stock bushing, as are many others with no issues.