Vendor's Booth: General
Sponsor:   Hyundai Aftermarket
This forum is for general vendors to talk about items they sell, and for users to talk
about their experiences/problems with buying automotive parts.

CNK Turbo setup & -40 weather?

Old 02-16-2003, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CNK Turbo setup & -40 weather?

How does the CNK hold up in extreme cold conditions (Alpine isn't answering me on this one tongue.gif )

Where I live, the temperature is in the negatives a good 6-7 months of the year, with some days as cold as -40 celsius, and some days where it's even colder.

Now, if I were to have a turbo kit on my car, would you advise AGAINST driving my car then? I just want to know if I have to park my car for the winter or not, if it was in fact, turbocharged with the CNK kit.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:23 AM

Moof --

With extreme cold conditions, you have to worry about two things ---- your coolant freezing over, and your OIL!!!

Oil being the blood line of both the engine and Turbocharger (which I am more concerned about) you MUST make sure that both are given adequate oil when in extreme cold conditions.

Well thats the problem..... heres the solution:-

Fully synthetic engine oil with high viscosity (must be VERY runny like water. The oil must not be thick at all. If you have the right oil, and you warm the engine by driving it when it is cold, and not allowing it to idle to operating temperature, you should be fine! This is VERY important!! If you idle the engine to operating temp, youmight seize up the turbo after a couple of minutes, reason for this is that while driving the car - the RPM increases to around 3000RPM, and so does the oil pressure.... this allows for added pressure behind the bushes and collar inside the turbo, making sure that they recieve enough oil!

I am willing to guarantee the turbocharger and my engine internals against failure even in this extreme weather!

One thing about CNK is that I manufacture the turbochargers bushes and thrust collars myself... so if one seizes up from lack of oil, I will mahcine the oil tracts through the bushes and collar larger to accomodate your problem.!

One last thing --- tuning.... I will need to add more fuel for the cold start map in order to get your engine started easily in the cold weather.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:32 AM

thanks man. That helps a lot..

you rintercoolers... you said they were aquo-coolers, right? Is that just antifreeze you have in it?
Old 02-16-2003, 02:42 AM

Nope ---

I don't use aqua coolers at all..... Intercoolers are the only thing for cooling charg I use in my kits.

If you have one - don;t worry so much about the anti freeze as the more ice in the core, the better...... if you weather is HOT, then use antifreeze as it prevents corrosion of the aluminium thats IF it isn't a treated ally like I use for my intercoolers and radiators.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:45 AM

You da man. That helps me a lot. i'm pretty sure you'll be hearing from me in person some time in the summer.

I may have to make a trip there to buy a turbo kit. I am *NOT* buying it through mail. ****in FedEX will charge me $600 for god damn shipping.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:03 AM

Moof ---

Thanks --- one thing... thecost of the kit INCLUDES shipping..... so no need to fly out here... but hey if you are coming alrady -- GREAT come along and check out the toys we are playing with... :-)
Old 02-16-2003, 08:52 AM

If I go down there, I can play with the good ol' unichip tuning. cause there's nowhere to do it up here, and there's nobody who'll know how to do it better than you guys.