Vendor's Booth: General
Sponsor:   Hyundai Aftermarket
This forum is for general vendors to talk about items they sell, and for users to talk
about their experiences/problems with buying automotive parts.

CNK Performance --- upgraded Con-rods

Old 01-11-2003, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CNK Performance --- upgraded Con-rods

Hi all,

I am pleased to announce that CNK is now investigating the manufacture of performance con-rods for the BETA2 engine!

Today I tested a set of stock rods and they measured 15 rockwell(tensile strength) --- the material I am investigating has a 28rockwell strength.

The material is measured at 85ton and can be increased to 110tonage with heat treatment. The design of the rod will be simple but effective and able to handle over 1000WHP!!

I will be manufacturing these units on a CNC lathe/mill and will do a costing on this --- so far it seems to be viable and costs could be quite competitive to other manufacturers.

Once I have all the information and confirmed costing I will introduce these products with a group buy option at LOW prices!
Watch this space.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:27 AM

What`s the rating of something like the CROWER forged rods?
I`ve actually been looking into rods at moment for my car and was thinking either CROWER or CARILLO
If your rods are as strong as these then i will look into them
Old 01-11-2003, 06:09 PM

I stand to be corrected - but I believe that they use a forged EN24B steel. This material is relatively soft in it's natural state, but once heat treated, the material becomes extremely strong!

I am also looking at EN30B which will get up to 40rockwell and 150ton rating.

The end result I am aiming for is something stronger than what is currently available in the market.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:28 PM

In that case i will be interested

Maybe you could look into a longer than standard rod with a piston to suit, then we could some more top end out of them
Old 01-13-2003, 04:45 AM

If anything I would prefer to shorten the rod or increae the bore ---- why longer rods when you can have a square engine..... :-)

I will look into it --- I think I will be able to machine whatever you want - it's a CNC machine so I can tell it what I want and it does it. For now I will be making up a set of test rods to try out and see the results at high RPM and loads of power.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:02 AM

didn`t think of the square engine

Silly me
Old 02-15-2003, 09:30 PM

I have some progress on the Con-Rods

I have three materials that I can choose from to manufacture the rods - each of the materials will be able to handle the power up to 1000WHP once heat treated, plasma nitrided, and shot pened.

The materials I have in mind are almost three times the tensile strength of the standard forged EN19 steel that the OEM rods are made of. The material I will be using has a very high content of chrome-moly, and Silver in it.

The weight of these materials are not going to be much different from the OEM rods, although they will be wider and a much stronger H-beam design rod.

I will be getting the blanks lazer cut and will do the machining on the rods in the next week or so. Once I have a finished rod, I will be doing tensile strength tests, then heat treatment, testsing again, shot peneing, and test again, then plasma nitride, and test again, then shot pene and final testing.

Each of these processes will increase tensile strength and I will be issued with certificates of each process with it;s tensile strength test result.

I will then be able to send a Rod to someone for testing --- anyone have a high revving HIGH HP engine willing to do the tests?
Old 02-16-2003, 10:32 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra

Just wondering, what is the use of con-rods that could handle 1000 hp when the pistons you are selling could only be used around 300 hp?
Old 02-16-2003, 11:35 PM

I think Chris is planning on making forged pistons at a later date. He isn't a God man, he can only do 50 things at a time! wink
Old 02-17-2003, 03:31 PM

lantraluvr ---

Tib in CB hit the nail on the head ---- wait for the release of the forged pistons.... they are coming.... BUT I cannot give a time just yet. hopefully by the end of the year.