Vendor's Booth: General
Sponsor:   Hyundai Aftermarket
This forum is for general vendors to talk about items they sell, and for users to talk
about their experiences/problems with buying automotive parts.

CNK Performance --- upgraded Con-rods

Old 02-18-2003, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know I'm always in for any group buy (turbo related) that CNK makes smile.gif
Old 02-21-2003, 09:06 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra

CNK, you make a hell of a lot of products. No prob in that, but I gots no cash for 'em. smile.gif

Will wait for both con rods and forged pistons....
Old 02-22-2003, 01:36 AM

Lantraluvr ---

I try ... I try.

:-)
Old 02-23-2003, 12:02 PM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

I'm gonna play the skeptic once again, if only because we all need a devil's advocate.

What specific steel alloys are you thinking of working with? Are these billet or forged rods? Are you looking at I beam or H beam construction? What does the rod-to-rod weight variations average?
Old 02-23-2003, 04:45 PM

skierd, you obviously did not read the whole thread.

Please go back and re-read the thread this time. You will find out that most of your questions are already answered in Chris's posts.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:22 AM

EN24B and EN30B does not tell me the alloy.

Are the rods forged (made into their basic shape through forging and then CNC'd to the correct spec) or are they billet rods (CNC'd from a solid block of forged steel)? I've heard both called blanks before, so I'm curious.

I see the part about them being H beam construction now.

I see nothing on the rod to rod weight variations.

Sorry about the flame, Maier email me if you have a problem or AIM me at skierd007.

[ February 24, 2003, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: MaierApril ]
Old 02-24-2003, 02:28 AM

Obviously, your not really sorry about the flame. Otherwise you would have edited the post to exclude what you posted.

Dont worry though, I took the liberty of editing the post for you. tongue.gif

BTW...skierd. Your not in HyundaiPerformance any more. Check your attitude and flames at the log on page before coming in here, please.

I'm offended about your comments, but I WILL be the bigger man.

It did say that the Con-rods are H beam and that they are made out of steel.

I didn't say that all of your questions were answered.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:45 AM

Skierd ---

H beam
EN24 or EN30B, or K600, or VI555 --- ALL are forged, then shot pened, plasma nitrided, shot pened, and heat treated with tensile and rockwell tests in between. I will test each of these metals and then decide.

Rod - rod variation ... what variation!!?? :-) the rods will be the same weight but larger and much wider - so you can say that the rods are actually lighter considering that more material is being used for the design.

Just as a point of interest --- EN24 or EN30B DEFINITELY DO tell you the alloy --- A Hyundai Tiburon I4 is exactly that a Hyundai Tiburon I4 not a Honda Ballade.

Skierd - no offence so don;t take any --- I don;t believe you are asking these questions, as they seem to come from a different source ---- so just tell whoever it is that i aint a bad *** as I seem to be sometimes, they must ask me the questions themselves!

If it is who I think it MIGHT BE (DSM) I really don;t mind, as long as he behaves himself and doesn't blow off steam in here.

Then again I might be wrong. Any other questions, I will be glad to answer for you or anyone else.

One last thing --- any suggestions or experiences had with this type of project are welcome. I will share my experiences and research with you all and if I can learn something as I go along - great!
Old 02-24-2003, 06:37 AM

I assure you that i'm asking these questions Chris and that these came out of my head.

I'm nowhere near as familiar with the alloy naming system as I would like to be, maybe you could elaborate more on what the composition of the rods are when you make your final selection (beyond high content of chrome-moly and some silver wink ).

I know that no manufacturing process is perfect. What tolerances, mass wise, are you holding the rods to? To the nearest gram, milligram, microgram, etc. This would really show how much effort is going to have to go into balancing the rotating assembly, or if balancing is needed at all, as I'm sure you know. Tighter tolerances also require more expensive tooling and can end up causing more scrap, leading to the higher cost of high end rods. This is why i'm concerned with the tolerances on your rods, seeing as you're planning on bringing them to market at prices well below the market average for imports.

The tolerance issue is also why i ask whether the parts are billet or forged, other than out of sheer curiosity. When you're making a billet rod you're removing a LOT of material. In my short experience, the more machining you do the more chances you have to screw up the piece. You're CNC program has to be pretty spot on as well. Tooling up for a new part for forging isnt cheap but there may be a cost saving when you're only cleaning up the rods on the lathe instead of creating them. Also, the less machining there is, the fewer chances there are to screw up the part.

I'm majoring in Mechanical Engineering with a concentration in Automotive Powertrain, so this is something that interests me and gets the old brain juices running. smile.gif

[ February 24, 2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: skierd ]