Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

Update On My Tib

Old 02-25-2009, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok so I thought I would do a little update.

Here's how she is looking as of today:

I used a combo of Rustoleum Satin black and the Duplicolor truck bed liner on the engine bay and bottom of the C/F hood and installed some led under hood lights that will turn on when the hood opens.

The lights were led driving lights that I got at autozone. I chopped them up and fastened them on with epoxy.

In the pic where you see the hood latch you can see foam inside. This was the expanding foam in a can. I filled the open spaces in the hood with it because when you push to close the hood you could see it flex.
This will just help support it where you push down to close it. Hopefully it will prevent cracking or at least more cracking as there was some already there.

My next step is a big one. I have to start stripping the car down to get it painted. Since it will be a different color alot of stuff has to come off to make sure everything gets painted the right way.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Good work so far. I'd like more info on the lighting system, as I've wanted to do that under my hood also.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:45 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

Sweet fing02.gif you cant beat that bedliner!, but I dont think the prep work on mine was done in some areas as it chips easily in certian spots?, good thing spot fixing with bedliner is as easy as pie!, ,for those bedlining,make sure it's preped properly everywhere or it will chip easily!., cool light mod.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

ahhh i just wanna get my engine bay, painted with bed liner lol, looks good cant wait to see what those lights look light all lit up. may also be interested in that too
Old 02-26-2009, 12:01 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I'd like more info on the lighting system, as I've wanted to do that under my hood also.</div>

I bought them at auto zone. They were similar to these only way cheaper:
http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?PageAc...amp;ProdID=1247

I took the lights and wires out of the housing,
figured out the depth I wanted from front to back then cut the back off,
painted the housing black,
glued the housing to the hood,
drilled a hole in the hood for the wires to come out by the hinge,
fished the wires through the hood and out the hole,
reconnected the wires and installed the lights back in the housing.

I still have to figure out a switch to get them to turn on when I open the hood but I didn't get that far cause it has been cold out.

I tested these when I first installed them and they seemed bright enough but I have yet to test them in the dark outside. If they aren't enough I might add more somewhere else. I will get more pics as soon as I hook them up.

Thanks for the compliments guys!
Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Tuscani Tiburon

Car looks like its coming along great!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:45 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

remember what regit said about bedliner prep. My radiator mount came primed and ready for paint. I scuffed it up with a scotchbrite pad, cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and then sprayed bedliner on it. There are areas on my radiator mount that I did not scuff well enough and have chipped. Luckily bedliner is easy to respray and is very texture-forgiving.

I see you foam-filled your hood. I'm in the process of doing the same. I used 1 can already but I left the job undone. It's my plan to foamfill the hood and then cut out a large chunk of the foam and respray black so that it's unnoticable. The foam I'm using is the stuff they use to fill large cracks in buildings. It's light weight and sticks like glue to any surface it contacts. Once you spray it black it goes unnoticed.

My hood came with alot of gaps. I foam filled the gaps, sealed it up with silicone and then I got another can of foam fill but it was not enough. It makes a difference in the feel of the hood when you lift or lower it though, that's for sure.

I'm definately looking at getting some lighting for under my hood. I like the way yours looks so far, any chance you could get a picture from further back?
Old 02-26-2009, 06:53 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Foam filled hood?

Uhm, WHY? And doesn't that add a bunch of weight you just took off by putting the hood on?

Hope you are using some foam that likes heat.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:29 PM

The foam weighs almost nothing maybe adding ounces to the hood.

I only put it across the front where the latch is not the whole hood. It was to support the c/f when you push down to close it. It would flex some since it is hollow in there and I didn't want it to crack.

It doesn't really get much heat because its only over where the hood latch is not by any heat source.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>It makes a difference in the feel of the hood when you lift or lower it though, that's for sure.

I'm definately looking at getting some lighting for under my hood. I like the way yours looks so far, any chance you could get a picture from further back?</div>
It does make the hood feel stiffer and more solid.
Yeah I will get more pics soon maybe I will hook up the lights temporary to see what they look like as well.