Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

Custom Gauge Pods....work In Progress!

Old 06-02-2006, 02:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

So I'm going turbo! I've been collecting parts for the last few months and finally got the nerve to start on something. Yes its the simplest thing I could do until I get the last few parts on my checklist laugh.gif . I figured I'd do this before ripping the engine apart and pulling my hair out with the REAL parts of the turbo project!

I wanted something different. No A-pillar pods for me. I was going to wait until they where finished, but I got too excited when I got them half way mocked up, so I had to share a few pics!!!

I'll be molding them to the steering column with bondo and glazing putty. I'll probably start that process this weekend sometime. Let me know what you think so far. I post finished pics when they are done, sometime next week...
Old 06-02-2006, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, you are going to losing some warning lights... and can you see the fuel level gage at all?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:43 AM

Yeah, I can definately see the fuel and MOST of the warning lights. Take a look at the first pic. I'm not a midget! lmao.gif I put the camera low to reduce the glare from the speedo cluster. Here is a pic of the gauges at about eye level:

Old 06-02-2006, 10:06 AM

Very cool man! I might have to consider this when I boost this summer
Old 06-02-2006, 10:47 AM

I was thinking about doing the same thing but with my psi gauges for my airbags.

yeah it might be a little in the way but who cares. nice job!
Old 06-02-2006, 02:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

the only problem i see is that bondo is made of a diffrerent material than plastic and shirnks and expands at different rates. in the extreme cold and heat you might start to notice some cracking along the edge. might not though, im just going off what i have read.

i ended up using a polyurethane repair epoxy kit for my tweeter pods. i heard of the stuff on mp3car.com. works pretty well. if you check out my mod thread you'll see what im talking about.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:32 PM

Thanks tibby01! Do you think I ought to use fiberglass resin instead? I'll look into the epoxy you are talking about. I suppose the one thing that it has to be is sandable so I can smooth it all out before I paint them.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i would just use that dynatron flexible bumper repair stuff. you sand the peice, and then you spread the stuff over. it hardens to a sandable solid in like 20 minutes. this is the stuff...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dynatron-66...sspagenameZWD1V

i think im going to buy another kit just for the hell of it. this stuff is awesome. you get a whole bunch too, the picture is semi misleading.

sands great. the only problem i am having is small pits here and there, which can be fixed with some glazing putty. just make sure you sand the peices it will be contacing first, or it wont adhere good. i speak from experience. wink1.gif
Old 06-02-2006, 06:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

That's a pretty cool place for the gauges. Nice job.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:11 AM

Update!

Not done yet, but getting closer. I managed to get the pods molded last night. I'll be using some high build primer to get rid of the scratches and some glazing putty to fix small holes. Next step is to prime these, guild coat them and find out where I need to use the glazing putty. I'll also be using a textured paint as a base coat, after the primer but before the top coat to give it that small texture back. I ended up using a fiberglass resin jelly. Worked great! Benifits of fiberglass resin with the ease of being more like bondo, so it stayed in place rather then just drip everywhere like regular fiberglass resin.

As you can see in the last photo, all my gauges are in plain view. I did manage to not get them EXACTLY PERFECTLY straight. Didn't realize until the resin had set, but, its close enough for me. Cant tell unless you are behind the drivers seat and take a REALLY long look at them.

I'll keep you all posted on the final product...