Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

Can Your Tires Spin Like This?

Old 06-23-2006, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: tiburon 1998

Spin like that?

Yep, as soon as I collect the box from the airport.... cool.gif
Old 06-23-2006, 07:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (brian01tib @ Jun 22 2006, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Helps with traction when turning also. Ive heard they're extream hard to instal, how did it go for?</div>
Cost me $125. cool.gif
Old 06-23-2006, 08:12 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jay-M @ Jun 22 2006, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>^^^
thanks for clearing that out, mad... i just blurd that out according to my notes here

i should have indicated that i was pertaining to the clutch type LSD (ie: Phantom Grip, etc)</div>

Phantom Grip is not clutch type LSD
Old 06-23-2006, 09:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Jun 22 2006, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>honestly, a quaife will NOT allow both wheels to turn the same. Because it is a "torque biasing" differential (their words) and not a clutch style, it will allow a wheel that is up in the air to spin freely. You can even do a "peg leg" burnout with a quaife installed if one wheel has absolutly no traction.

Only a clutch style will allow both wheels to turn at the same time.</div>
This is not true. It transfers the power to the wheel that grips which is far better than one that delivers it equally (wasting the power).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The QUAIFE, however, does just the opposite (as an open diff). It senses which wheel has better grip, and biases the power to that wheel. It does this smoothly and constantly, and without ever completely removing power from the other wheel.</div>

I would MUCH rather have the power go down to the wheel that is gripping, rather than to a wheel that is up in the air doing nothing for you.

Open diff = power goes to non-gripping tire. Totally useless power
Clutch LSD = power goes to both tires equally. Could be half useless power.
Torque biasing LSD = power goes to the gripping tire. Totally usefull power.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:12 AM

Sorry Jon.. a Quaife will spin a tire what has NO traction at all. I know how the Helical sun and planet gears in the Quaife work.. I also know there is a reason they are NOT used in rally situations.. you need both tyres on the ground for them to work. Even if you have one wheel on ice and the other on sandpaper.. the ice still has enough friction to allow a quaife to work.. I know that seems odd, but it is true.

As for the pegleg burnouts.. you CAN overwhelm a quaife with too much power and it will spin one tire more than the other.

Quaifes are great for roadracing, autocross, and really fast street cars. Rally, offroad, and dragracing require a clutch style diff.