Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

$30 Ebay Cold Air Intake

Old 01-13-2008, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I had recently bought a $30 knock-off AEM cold air intake off of ebay.

The eBay username is chromeintakes

here is the listing i bought it from

here are links to the pics i took of the system installed on my tib

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Picture 5

Picture 6

Picture 7

Sorry about the links, but I have yet to figure out how to post images directly using Google picasa albums to the board.

The sound is pretty good from the CAI, and not that there is a noticeable hp increase, but the engine definitely responds faster when you touch the accelerator. As for fuel economy, I have to use up a whole tank or two of fuel and see if there is a repeatable increase in mpg. I will say that it seems unofficially that the tib is getting 1-2mpg better then before.

Let me know what you think of this set-up and if you have any questions.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Banned

pretty nice.. but not the AEM knockoff.. you shoulda got the AEM knockoff, its like 10$ more but a MUCH better intake..

i love those style filters.. i have one of those filters on my turbo intake..
Old 01-13-2008, 02:33 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's not mounted anywhere. I made a mount for an earlier CAI I had out of aluminum stock from home depot and some pipe clamps. Just find 2 bolts it can connect to (top of tranny stock airbox mount, and fender airbox mount) then bend the metal in a vice to run along the pipe and meet those two bolts.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:21 PM

Location: Burlington Iowa, where theres just as many tractors on the road as cars.

How do you know which one is the knock off? They all look the same to me!
Old 01-13-2008, 04:37 PM

Vehicle: 06 suby impreza outback sport

that's the injen knock off. you should switch out the filter for a k&n.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:54 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IronFox @ Jan 13 2008, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>How do you know which one is the knock off? They all look the same to me!</div>

AEM & clones get mounted in wheel well. Injen & clones are under the battery tray
Old 01-13-2008, 06:16 PM

I had one of these intake when I first bought my car, its was pretty good but Im much happier with my AEM knock off that I have now
Old 01-13-2008, 09:13 PM

DTN - it's held in place from slopping all around right now by a black cable tie around the piping and the clutch master cylinder till I can get to home depot this upcoming weekend and fabricate a correct bracket for it. Thanks for the idea though, i realized that i should have it more securely mounted after I loosened all the connections on the piping this morning to fit it better for the pics and general placement. So when i go to home depot i'll fabricate a bracket and also get the water separator for the home made catch can.

Lilo Shark - It's an injen knockoff? I thought it was an AEM. Sparticus cleared that up for me in his post. Thanks Sparticus. Maybe I should get a vinyl label made to put on the CAI that says 1/2 injen or something to that extent. I'd sport it since I don't do shows or anything.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:51 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

Looks nice but a proper CAI (filter outside of the engine bay) would net more hp gains.