USA - Midwest/Central USA - Midwest members here.

2009 L.L.L.L ( Los Lunas Labor[day] Luau )

Old 08-20-2009, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

If that's the deal, we need to work on helmets PRONTO. Did they say they rent them?

Either day would be great, but Saturday would probably be the best, short drive. I'll put in $100 for now to start.

6. Schwag and prize drawing. (SPONSORS include: HyundaiThinkTank.com, hackerthreads.com, CrookedH.com, Harbor Freight, RDTiburon.com, more in the works... )

CrookedH.com has stepped up to the plate and is sending some schwag for the raffle. Very very nice, thanks CH!
Old 08-20-2009, 09:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm down for an hour or two as well. I agree, an hour of track time is a lot! 1~2 hours would give ample time for runs and photo/videos ops I would think. Sounds great Pat!!! Good work man!

No motorcycle helmets? I wonder why.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:03 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Racing helmets (or SA rated) are...

Lined with a nomex fabric liner making them more fire resitant
Have a smaller minimum allowable eyeport opening
Designed to withstand the impact of a rollbar

and some have aerodynamic features that are automobile specific and would not make sense on an M helmet. As well as options for forced air cooling or emergency air supplies.

Also, it is generally accepted that tinted screens are not okay for a racing helmet. I once responded to a crash at Phoenix Int'l raceway and the driver was in a full race suit and black helmet with tinted windscreen (down). I couldn't see his eyes so I assumed he was unconscious, turns out he wasn't just shooken up.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

^^Cool with me! Now, where can I get one......

Any chance on them renting helmets?

EDIT: just looked at a few helmets and realized that most of us are NOT going to have roll bars in our cars. The lining is a good idea though. Found one at JCWhitney that says its DOT and Snell approved. Is that what I should be looking for?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:01 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

Dam!,wish I was'nt 4737 kms away! mad.gif ..Looks like a wicked time shapeing up!!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:50 AM

A quick note on rating...
Practically every helmet is DOT approved (which means it means DOT standards).
Looking for a Snell rated helmet is where you want to be. Snell ratings are either M (ex: M2000) for motorcycle helmets or SA (ex. SA1995, SA 2000, or the most recent update SA 2005) for automotive racing helmets.

Two seperate ratings..
A helmet can have both (but not both an M and SA rating).
The number proceeding the M or SA is the year standards that the helmet was designed/built to. SA 2005 is the most current. Any SA helmet will suffice.

The Snell rating means it means a stricter and much more vigorous impact testing among other things, and SA rated helmets are different from M helmets for the reasons listed above (2-3 posts).

I really don't know how strict they're going to be on the helmets. It's kind of an insurance policy, you don't really want to spend the money on what you need (until you need it).

Unfortunately racing helmets are quite expensive ($250 on the low side, upwards of $800 on the high side). I don't see why you should go out and buy one unless you have the cash and plan on track racing in the future at a track.

I'll find out about renting

Worst case my club has a few extra Bell SA2005's. We can rotate using them if we have to (although that's just plain gross. We might as well exchange jockstraps while we're at it).

If you HAVE a motorcycle helmet (or know someone who does) BRING IT. I'm sure you could get away with it. It's better than nothing. Just try and find one that is at least Snell approved (will have an Mxxxx on it). I could make a helmet out of duct tape and spray paint and get it DOT approved..

I'm just excited I finally got you guys to a TRACK that has more than one turn in it (referring to the u-ey down the back stretch back to the pits). Haha.

You will soon realize why 500+ HP in a fwd car = overkill
Old 08-21-2009, 10:26 AM

"500 HP+ is overkill" ^^^ I told you REDZ! Now I don't feel like a complete idiot
Old 08-21-2009, 10:28 AM

I have two Motorcyle helmets I can bring, but need to check on the M rating. Most tracks I've been to offer the ability to rent helmets so hopefully this one is the same because I can't afford to drop cash on yet another helmet.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:43 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Guys, keep it on topic please.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:00 PM

Heard back from Sandia today,

We've got the track booked for us on SUNDAY from 8am to 12pm. Should be plenty of time for the 5-7 of us. saturday is already booked, so that's all we got.

They DO NOT have helmets for rent

The deal is $80/hour for the first two cars and $30/hour for every car after that. Please post if you are for sure able to pay for your share and down to run the track. That way I can figure out what the cost per each of us is going to be.

It'll be like an HPDE1 for those of you who know what that is. We can all be on the track at the same time, just evenly spaced. And no passing except for on the front and back straights. No exceptions. Passing rules apply (wave by). Windows gotta down at all times, and if someone is faster that's behind you you put your left hand out the window and point which side you want them to pass on (usually the inside line) and then they pass you..

Let's get at least 7 or 8 folks combined (from these forums and mine) to make this affordable.

It's looking like about $100 (rounding up) per vehicle to rent the track for 2 hours on Sunday. I think 1 hour is too little, and 3 hours would be too expensive.

2 hours give us three 30 minutes sessions and two 15minute cool downs/safety checks. That's about what you get a day at a track session with NASA (but pay $150 + membership fees).

Pricing example:

It looks like Redz, Role Reversal, tibbytib, and dmdicks are the ones that are commited to this event. So I'll assume 4 of us from here (not including me)

I have 6 or 7 people interested on my club's forums but let's assume only 4 commit (making 5 including myself)

That's 9 total. For 2 hours (get there on SUNDAY at 7:30/8:00 leave by 10:00am).

At $80 x 2/hour + $30 x 7/hour = $370 per hr for all 9 of us.

x 2hrs = $740 + taxes. I'm gonna just assume and round up to $800 for the grand total. (what is the tax rate Jer?)

$800 / 9 of us = ~$90 each. + gas for your car = right around $100

That is IF there is a combined total of 9 of us that are confirmed. If there is less, I think we should consider tracking for only 1 hour (since $90 is going to stretch my pockets thin..). If there is more, the track will probably start to get concerned about crowding and require that we have an EMT and event insurance.

1 hour and 9 people would be under $50 for each of us. But you will probably leave the track wanting just a few more laps.