USA - Midwest/Central USA - Midwest members here.

2008 Abq Bbq - Planning Phase

Old 02-24-2008, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Okay, interest has already been shown, and I'm anxious to get some ideas going for the 5th annual ABQ BBQ!!!

Okay, it's actually the 6th ABQ BBQ, but one was the wierd one I did during the spring of 2004, and we just don't count that one. LOL

Wow, 5 years. That's amazing. Let's get down to brass tacks though.

EVENT

5th Annual ABQ BBQ. This is a large get together of mostly RD Series Tiburons in Albuquerque NM. We gather during the first weekend of the ABQ International Balloon Fiesta, enjoy some of the most amazing sights in the world, a few good group drives, and a couple of fantastic meals, BBQ'd by the one and only RED ZMAN and clan.

DATES

This year's BBQ will be the weekend of 3-5 October, but anyone is welcome to stay until the Fiesta is done on the 12th, the longer you stay and help out at the Fiesta, the more likely you are to get to fly.

Albuquerque New Mexico, UNITED STATES. For route planning, use the following address.

6565 Paradise Blvd NW
Albuquerque, NM 87114

That's the address to the Walgreens near my house.

COSTS

Only costs associated are the following.

1. Transportation Costs (if you fly in, we will pick you up, and you will have a ride, but some gas money might be appreciated).
2. Food costs. I'm supplying the BBQ meal and drinks of course, but donations or additions are welcome. The FIRST evening we usually go out to a NICE meal somewhere, so bring something nice to wear, and make sure you have enough money for it. This is usually the only semi expensive meal we do.
3. Fiesta Costs. Depending on how many people show up, and how many tickets we get for our crew, you may need to pay for a couple of days to get in. It's cheap, and parking in general is free, as we stuff the SUV's and go park in the crew parking for free. You'll want souvenirs, and snacks, so bring money.
4. Lodging. I have room for about 6 to 8 to stay with me for free. SOCKS and other local members have already started volunteering up space to stay at for free. If you are interested in a local hotel, I can help you find one for decent price, but register SOON, as prices skyrocket as the Fiesta gets close.

PLANS

<u>Friday - Meet and Greet</u>
Meet up around 4 to 7 PM, go have a nice dinner somewhere and just socialize.
1. Osaka Steakhouse (about a 5 minute drive from my house) A- food (Japanese Steakhouse/Sushi/Teppan) - THIS IS WHERE WE ATE AT IN 2007.
2. Gardunos (about a 5 minute drive from my house) A+ food & Atmosphere. (Authentic New Mexican food, Mariachi's and singing.)
3. Azuma's (about a 20 minute drive from my house) A+ Food & Atmosphere. (Best Japanese steakhouse around, with showoff chefs.)
4. Korean BBQ House (about a 30 minute drive from my house, but worth it). A++ Food and atmosphere. (Korean food, galbi BBQ, ect. Right on Central/Old Route 66)

<u>Saturday - ABQ Balloon Fiesta - BBQ or Group Drive</u>
Get up about 5 AM, get to the Balloon Field (most will get in for free), do the amazing balloon thing, drink till about noon. Go home, take a nap. Get back up and either do the Group Drive or the BBQ, or both.
Group Drive Suggestions.
1. Sandia Crest - Approximately 1.5 hours from my house to the top. Fantastic views, very curvy roads. REDZ Rating of A, photo rating of A+ (First drive of 2007, Drive of 2004 spring and fall, and 2005)
2. Jemez Springs/Soda Dam - Approximately 1 hour from my house, curvy roads, beautiful scenery. REDZ Rating of B+, photo rating of A. (Drive of 2006)
3. Caldera Drive. Approximately 4 to 5 hours round trip, but one of the best drives you'll ever do. This includes 2 or 3 rest/photo stops. REDZ Rating of A+, photo rating of A+ (Drive of 2006)

4. VLA Drive. Approximately 6 hours round trip, with long break for photos in front of the satellite dishes. Actual drive is a bit boring, and long. REDZ Rating of C+, photo rating of A++
5. Backroad Drive - Approximately 25 minutes from my house, short drive from the start, maybe 5 minutes tops, but REALLY curvy, and really fun. Great photo ops from here, and some beautiful scenery. (This is the 2nd drive we did in 2007)
6. Madrid Drive - Approximately 3 hours round trip, haven't tried it yet but have been told it's nice. Up to Madrid NM, through Santa Fe, and back to ABQ. Madrid is where the movie "Wild Hogs" was filmed.

<u>Sunday - ABQ Balloon Fiesta - Group Drive or early BBQ if not done on Saturday</u>
Same schedule as Saturday, with either an early BBQ, or the Group Drive if not done on Saturday.

EXTRA INFO

Info on the AIBF is here...
http://www.balloonfiesta.com/

This year is the 34th Annual, and we usually get from 700 to 1000 balloons in the air at once. This is a Hyundai meet, but any of you guys and gals are welcome to come. This is the largest gathering of balloons in the world, and often referred to as the most photographed event in the world.

Info on the AIBF is here...
http://www.balloonfiesta.com/

Pictures from some of the last meets can be seen here.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v131/RED...%20Show%20Pics/

Please note if you are coming, and how long you are planning on being here.

Incoming flights would be to airport code ABQ.

ATTENDING:

1. REDZMAN
2. Lizgiggles
3. Satan Spawn (my son)
4. Cysc00
5. Tibbytib (Of course.)
6. SOCKS
7. Missy
8. Ankle SOCKS
9. Javageek
10. Javageekess
11. Javageek Jr.
12. Javageek III
13. alli.s007
14. ABQElantra
15. ABQElantress
16. UrS0NvS
17. avblueshark
18. Foxxy Tibby

Might Attend:

1. Caj Darkmoon
2. Purpletib
3. Sparticus
4. mwood
5. Ericy321
6. Blaze
7. blue blaze
8. demon wolf

I think I got it all. Let your friends know, bring a parent, whatever you want, but SHOW UP! Let's make this a BIG ABQ BBQ guys!

Here is the video for the 2005 Spring ABQ BBQ.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4IL2J4VO
^^^
This link is for the full 245 or whatever megs the full video was.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:44 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Charger

put me down for a definate! ill be putting my da-31 in when it gets closer, but i will be there!
Old 02-24-2008, 10:44 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Put me down for maybe, once I graduate and get a job I'll be able to say more for sure.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:55 AM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

AHHH!! Why must this always be the date of my expo? I may have to find someone to run it for me so I can come. Wait a sec, it's the anniversary show so that wont fly either.... 02.gif
Old 02-24-2008, 12:17 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

OH... am I not invited douche??? Is it cause I will prob only own chevy's by this point... DICK! drillsergeant.gif

oh ya dont forget the wifeey... depending on her schedule of school and work.

nana.gif

I should actually be able to get the leave to be a helping hand this time. Instead of show to say what's up and then go to work.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Banned

well im already up there but who said im coming. lmao.gif jk of course ill be there..

i got two spots at my place..

j3romy is coming for sure, he is staying here.

caj has the other spot reserved if he is coming.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:42 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

put me in on the maybe side...

of course the "maybe" will be assuming i can wake up on time wink1.gif haha. also, if i can't find myself a better tiburon, i'll just fly out.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:22 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

you can put me down for a maybe depending on military schedule...this will be a good road trip drive for me, wife, and son
Old 02-24-2008, 07:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Id love to come down with the girl. Everything I see and hear seems amazing. Well see when it gets closer.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

0o0o0o0o, count me in for this. even though that is opening weekend for deer seaon for kansas, i was wondering if this was gonna happen in august, which was gonna be rough for me. i'm in like flynn.