Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Whats Next?

Old 06-20-2010, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Alright guys, Im bored of all the for sale, wtb, and help now this is broken threads. I want to have a discussion about cams and tuning.

Ive been searching around both newtiburon and rdtiburon so ideas for performance. Currently i have my I/H/E and i want to go to the next step, which personally i believe may be cams and even a ecu re flash, which i don't know much about either, maybe even a custom intake manifold and a bigger TB, but Ive found out a lot more about them.

Ive seen that most guys do regrinds, and the only regrind Ive seen was the colt regrinds. Do we have other options?

I have a spare head that i plan on porting and polishing during school next year, but i really want cam work done too, just not looking to break the bank.

Next is Ive seen a lot of ecu re flash. I honestly have done a little bit of research on this, and its actually quite common. Is this something you can do yourself? or can a professional do it for a reasonable price?

input?
Old 06-20-2010, 03:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2006 Kia Spectra5

Couple of things ...

If you really did any research on the ECU re-flash you would know if its possible to do on your own ... its not, or if it can be done cheaply ... it can't. IMO .. get a piggy back like the ( I'm assuming you have a Beta motor) SMT6 or 8T or an AEM F/IC. That will give you way more control then any re-flash.

As for the cams ... all I've seen are regrinds of stock cams where they are simply reducing the base circle of the cam, changing the lift and duration to their specs. If it was me, I'd put my money into the head work and send the manifold out to Atelier HP for porting ... he does head work to. Then send the stock TB out to maxbore.com and have him open it out to 58mm, the max diameter for both the throttle body and manifold.

But that's just what I'd do ... tongue.gif
Old 06-20-2010, 10:20 AM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

There is a lot of effort and money to be put into this.

Cams, Regrinds are the only option I am aware of for the beta. Don't think these are unacceptable though, they will perform the same as any other cam with the same specs. Now there is no advantage to be had without proper tuning (i will cover this with the reflash.)

Port and Polish, be very careful when doing this as you can cause much more harm than good. My suggestion would be to just clean up the flash and smooth everything out, but not remove any size able amounts of material. If you have access to a flow bench and multiple heads you could make multiple attempts and have a margin of error to get it right.

Re-Flash, I am unaware of any reflash options for the ecu's in the rd tibs. DTN is working on making a viable option for tuning the rd ecu's. with this option you would be able to control every parameter of your ecu. The more folks you can get to help DTN by performing the necessary scan of their ecu's so dtn can locate the location of necessary files on each ecu, this would open a whole new world for the rd tuning community. You would have the ability to do anything from raise rpm's to rescale for larger injectors.

The options for tuning outside of reflash, You can use a piggy back or a standalone. My opinion on this will be biased towards standalone. A piggyback gives you minimal control over parameters at best. That is where the stand alone will shine. Back to the cams, You will need to adjust fuel and timing to get the most out of the cam.s. There is no piggy back that will allow for timing adjustments, but standalone allows for this. Also if you get an aggressive enough cam you be able to hold the power higher in the rpms thus warranting a higher redline, which will also require a stand alone.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:12 AM

Couple of things ...

If you really did any research on the ECU re-flash you would know if its possible to do on your own ... its not, or if it can be done cheaply ... it can't. IMO .. get a piggy back like the ( I'm assuming you have a Beta motor) SMT6 or 8T or an AEM F/IC. That will give you way more control then any re-flash.

As for the cams ... all I've seen are regrinds of stock cams where they are simply reducing the base circle of the cam, changing the lift and duration to their specs. If it was me, I'd put my money into the head work and send the manifold out to Atelier HP for porting ... he does head work to. Then send the stock TB out to maxbore.com and have him open it out to 58mm, the max diameter for both the throttle body and manifold.

But that's just what I'd do ... tongue.gif

Yea im just trying to get a full understanding of ecu tuning, and whats available for our cars vs other more common tuning cars.

I was pretty sure regrinds were the only options for us, i was wondering if colt was the only way to go, or if other companies could do it with more lift and duration options. The head work and manifold porting i would want to do myself, since its something that i would like to learn anyway.

Only question i have about the TB is that is it possible to go to big for n/a? Ive seen guys on here using a 70mm TB from a land rover discovery, and idk if that would be to big for n/a.

There is a lot of effort and money to be put into this.

Cams, Regrinds are the only option I am aware of for the beta. Don't think these are unacceptable though, they will perform the same as any other cam with the same specs. Now there is no advantage to be had without proper tuning (i will cover this with the reflash.)

Port and Polish, be very careful when doing this as you can cause much more harm than good. My suggestion would be to just clean up the flash and smooth everything out, but not remove any size able amounts of material. If you have access to a flow bench and multiple heads you could make multiple attempts and have a margin of error to get it right.

Re-Flash, I am unaware of any reflash options for the ecu's in the rd tibs. DTN is working on making a viable option for tuning the rd ecu's. with this option you would be able to control every parameter of your ecu. The more folks you can get to help DTN by performing the necessary scan of their ecu's so dtn can locate the location of necessary files on each ecu, this would open a whole new world for the rd tuning community. You would have the ability to do anything from raise rpm's to rescale for larger injectors.

The options for tuning outside of reflash, You can use a piggy back or a standalone. My opinion on this will be biased towards standalone. A piggyback gives you minimal control over parameters at best. That is where the stand alone will shine. Back to the cams, You will need to adjust fuel and timing to get the most out of the cam.s. There is no piggy back that will allow for timing adjustments, but standalone allows for this. Also if you get an aggressive enough cam you be able to hold the power higher in the rpms thus warranting a higher redline, which will also require a stand alone.

Honestly money is the only thing that would keep me from doing this right away, this is why since it will take me a while to save up for i can make the decision if i should go with a beastly n/a beta or f/i, which i have my own ideas for =D

Ive read that about the port and polish, that it can have negative effects, thats why i would wait till im at school to try and do that. (going to wyotech this fall)

I would be willing to help DTN do a scan of the ecu, i did see that thread and i was interested, im just not the greatest with computers, but dont mind leaving my car hooked up for 6 hrs. I guess ill have to read more into that thread.

When it comes to cams and tuning, thats where i would want to go if it is cheaper then going with a basic F/I kit. Pretty much i just want to know what the next performance mod i can start saving up for since now i have the basic bolt ons.

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 06-20-2010, 11:29 AM

Vehicle: 1998 & 2001 Tiburon

Only question i have about the TB is that is it possible to go to big for n/a? Ive seen guys on here using a 70mm TB from a land rover discovery, and idk if that would be to big for n/a.

How Big Is To Big For A TB?

In a nutshell, the bigger the TB the less throttle response you'll have. 60mm is probably the biggest you'd want to go.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:04 PM

Thanks winston, i searched throttle bodies for a couple hours the other day and didnt find that thread lol. I must suck at searching.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

You could also consider nitrous oxide, if you don't want to $pend for a forced-induction setup.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Cams and a tunable ECu will do great stuff for the drivability of the car. Honestly, after doing all I did to the intake, doing the exhaust should have been the FIRST thing to do. Then the intake, then the head, then the cams. I screwd a lot up in the order I ran my Tiburon, but am fixing it.

Give up on flashing the ECU, Bhurlin almost went broke buying stuff to try to do it with, as his car has the same ECU. You can save a lot of time and headache by going another route. I'm getting the itch to get to work on my Tib again, as there is only so much more I'm going to do with the Soul, it's my daily driver. The Megasquirt is going to get a full tune finally, and hopefully I can find a low mileage engine to pop in there.

Check out the AEM FIC, the SMT options that are out there now, and of course the Megasquirt PnP unit. The money is WORTH investing it properly. Even if money is tight,save up for an extra month or two, and do it all right.

Glad to see you are still moving on with it, I'm really anxious to hit the Tib again.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:46 PM

Not even interested in nitrous, I'm looking to get into tuning because if i learn that knowledge i know a lot more then the average person.

REDZ: yea this is defiantly not going to be a next week drop cash type of thing, will be a save up for a couple months and buy it type of deal, so i figure it doesnt hurt planning ahead haha.

Looked at the megasquirt on KFX looks affordable, and i looked at the AEM FIC and SMT, will have to search them a little more to find the right one to get and prices.

I figured since it will be a while since i can afford a brand new car to start messing with, so why not keep myself occupied with the time being. My next mods will all be fixing the stuff that needs to be fixed and the interior lighting plans i have.

Thanks again for the input guys.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:39 PM

Matt (Jattus) has a brand new Intake Manifold design that uses a 70mm Ford Throttle Body. I'm going to be putting it on my Beta2 in the next few weeks but I'm sure with minor tweaking it would work on the RD.

As far as tuning is concerned I'm pretty much stuck to piggybacks in Colorado. Have to have full OBDII compliance with rules out all standalone options. With that said my Perfect Power TF-10 piggyback works AWESOME. I have full timing control (add/subtract) as well as a second fuel rail. It should be able to control upwards of 440cc injectors via MAF manipulation which is more than enough for a built N/A motor. smile.gif