Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

What I Need, What I have for my Turbo Build

Old 09-19-2010, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Hyundai Elantra / 97 Hyundai Tiburon
Default What I Need, What I have for my Turbo Build

Okay, well here it go's. I've decited to Boost my 2001 Hundai Elantra 2.0L . I have been reading an learning so much over the last few month's, an I now know the basics when it comes to Turboing my 4cyl Elantra. This is all very New to me, I have not had any exsperence with a Boosted car, so this will be one heck of a task for me. Now I do drive this car almost everyday, with that being said, Im not looking to rebuild the motor, So I want to just keep my stock internals, an from what I have read, it can be done safly with boost up to 10psi, That sounds great to me, I dont really want any more Boost then that, I want the car to stay together, I think just having my Elantra with a Turbo will be the best part, It dont have to be fast, If it run's good an drives me where I need to go, an I get to hear the sound of a Blow-off Valve when I let off the gas, then enough said. Case closed, I will be smiling forever, till it brakes down of coarse. Ok well heres what I have so far, an what I'm getting real soon.

What I have : A knock off Brand of a HKS Blow-off Valve, Not sure of the spring in it right now, It was giving to me, an it's Brand Spanking New. I just Bought 3 Gauge's today they are, Air/Fuel Guage, Oil Pressure, Boost Guage, they are the Sun Pro, Nothing great, But they will work for now. I have a Wideband in my shoping cart, so I should have that soon, if I dot get it, then I will buy a Used one if someone has one. I'm maybe getting a Turbo this weekend, I'm going to look at it, Only seen pic's of it, I'm not sure what flange it has, I forgot to ask about that, I hope it's the one I need. I also have Intercooler Piping, Oil Lines an some fitting's, from my Local Surplus Store, the lines are steel, an was told it sells good from there, with no complaints. I have exhaust piping for the down pipe, I need to use 2.25, from what I have read. Im in the process of making my Guages pods with fiberglass mat an resin, I'm sure they will look awesome, I'm making a Quad Pod for the Pillar, then thinking about making a smaller panel for the smaller guages that come in the 3 packs, I believ the guages are, Volt's, Water Temp, Transmission Temp. Also Im making My Own 4 Guage Pod, Just bought Everything I need, so Ill get it done soon enough, Being I work 7 days a week, an I work, 1st shift then 3rd then 2nd, it gos backwords, It sucks really bad but my paychecks are awesome every week, hah

Ok so here's what I need, I may need more, If so then just let me know,

1: Stand Alone Engine Management, Dont Matter what one, I'm thinking AEM
2: Intercooler an Piping, I found a Intercooler Kit on Ebay, it has a warren
3: Regulator an fuel return line, My car has a returnless fuel line, I'm sure I will need one for a Turbo set-up right? Injectors, Not Ganna Push more than 10psi, so what Injector size should I do with?
4: Waste Gate on Turbo? or Manifold with Waste gate? which should I go with?
Well Its now like 4am, I need to go to bed, thanks for reading, an comments are more then Welcome, and Help is a Must for me
Old 09-19-2010, 02:08 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

HEY AET,

Okay

1: Go with the AEM, it is worth the time and money invested, sure about 8/10 people here will tell you to just get this tuner.
2: Intercooler and piping is fine off ebay, all it has to do is cool air, it wont be as effecient as a BLizt or Hks, but you dont need it for 10 psi.
3: Fuel, you will need atleast a 190lph fuel pump, can be taken out of any Turbo Dsm at the junk yard, or get at 255lph fuel pump and kit off ebay for 70 bucks, or the Walbro kit for 100... ( DONT GO TO CHEAP ON FUELING, NO FUEL MEANS NO WORKY, OR BOOM!!!)
4: The Big 16G you have been talking about, will be internally gated, there for meaning you wont need a External wastegate, or one on the manifold, you will also need a tread stone manifold, or a decent manifold, ditch the 1g idea...

Talk to TurboSocks, he can get you a Tredstone for a good price, and it will work forever, and never ever ever crack... on less thing to worry about.

THINGS YOU WILL WANT (This is an opinon of mine)
1: Turbo Timer

2: One of the most important things, A GOOD TUNER, to tune the vehicle!
Yes, so people will have maps you can load and copy but ever car is different, some motors like to run a little richer or leaner, or like to have more or less time pulled, so be careful!

3: Injectors for fueling, On ebay for 200 bucks you can get 440cc injectors! (Ford racing 440cc)

4: Spark plugs are a must! BKR7E should do you!

5: Also know that you will only be able to run premium fuel while your turboed!

6: Something i find very handy, BLOX CEL ELIMINATOR, (can get this on ebay 10 bucks shipped) for you bottom side O2 sensor, if your like me and straight piped, this will keep you from getting the Check engine code, saying you have a faulty CAT!!!!!

I know there is more, but i can think lol...

O, and for the DP, I would not go any smaller than 2.5" pipping, I would aim for 3"
Old 09-19-2010, 10:33 AM

Vehicle: 01 Hyundai Elantra / 97 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah I did forget about the 1g or 2g Manifold, I understand I can use an Evo 8 Manifold, They have them for 175 bucks on ebay, they are really nice, Now I did notice that there are some manifolds that have a split exhaust port an are triagle shapped, Idk, just looked wierd on the Flange. Ok so I now have a parts list, Im going to start finding them.

One thing tho, I promissed my GF I would get her a car, I found a 97 Tib 2.0L RD with Automatic trans, So after I buy that car, then It's Operation Turboed Elantra (Sleeper Edition)

Im super excited, An was wondering if someone would wanna help me with the build, I could use some help, seeing I am new to the Turbo seen, Not to working on car's tho, I have been ripping car's apart since 12years of age, So trust me, I know what I am doing, an what Im looking at. I love Cars, I will never give up on working on car's, Its my Life, My Passion, It run's threw my Vein's, Nothing is better then having greasy hands an arm's an sometimes face. I do really need help tho on this build, Id be willing to pay someone to help out, or I could hook someone up with something, I have a really good Tire Hook-Up, I can get just about what ever tire size I need, Just tell me what you want, an I shall call for them, Sometimes it dos take a coupple weeks.

Ok thanks guys. Oh what About the Fuel return line, My car has the returnless system, so I know I need a return line installed with a fuel regulator.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:32 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Yea, This Evo 8 Manifold is the one you want, Still not 100 percent going to bolt up, probably about 45 minutes worth of grinding with a dremel just to oblong the holes, but the flange is oriented on the correct side, and you will be able to run a bigger DP and still have enough clearance for the alternator!!!!

Also GET that Tib man, has some good parts and you can get is looking great for cheap, Plus I read his thread and seems like a hella good buy for 750, even if it dont look nice, atleast it drives and runs for now!!!

Fueling, Talk To TurboSocks, Run his kit, It is 300 Bucks, Comes with a Rail that you will be able to put right on to your car, already tapped, then you will just have to run the retur fuel line to the fuel tank and Tap the Whole so it can drain into the tank!!!! Very easy to do....
Old 09-20-2010, 04:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

i'm suprised no one has mentioned to get corkey bell's book about turbos and supercharging. It would help you understand more of what you are getting into.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:26 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

thats the thing lee

we all have

every single one of us

hell i gave him the link to my "grocery list" and he still asks the same exact questions 10 times

when he blows it up (its a automatic) its all on him

hes tryin to take the cheap route and expects to be able to run his car dependable for a $1.95 well you get what you pay for
Old 09-20-2010, 04:35 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

^LoL

I guess nothing else needs to be said bud. sh*t even i forgot about your grocery list and i have read it lots of times, thanks for the reminder.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:35 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX Turbo

Do I still need to buy a blox cel eliminator if I'm planning to buy a wideband o2 sensor? right now with the stock o2 I have an engine lights on and it does said that I have a faulty cat