Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Volvo found a way to handle with TURBO LAG

Old 05-13-2016, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Volvo found a way to handle with TURBO LAG

Have a Turbo lag problem? Well, leave it to the Swedes to think of something that’ll help. In a situation where you’re stuck behind a driver who insists on going under the speed limit on a highway, what you do is punch the throttle and let them feel your dust while waiting for boost pressure to build. Of course, the turbo lag last only few seconds but, as we can see, that’s just too much for the folks of Sweden.

So, in order to get that few lost seconds of life, Volvo developed a new PowerPulse technology. It may sound like something far too complicated but, it really is as simple as adding air storage tank to the engine and an air compressor. This is how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBPeQG40sI4

Interesting tech but how much lag could it possibly have? Most EOM turbo's are pretty small and they spool up by 2K RPM's at the most. I can maybe see this being well used in higher gears but off the line, there really should be next to no lag.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

That's an ingenious design! So much, I wonder if it would be legal for me to use in racing. But, like you said, I'm not sure why you would experience lag in a street car so bad that you would need it. Unless you are pushing a 500+hp capable turbo, they spool just fine with a little downshifting.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

So it's an electric motor powered turbo assist. That sounds familiar...

https://www.formula1.com/content/fom...y_Systems.html

It's basically an electrically driver supercharger put in place of the small turbo in a compound system. It's smart but I don't see it as all that pioneering.

The only upside to this aside from an electrically assisted turbo like in the MGU-H is that the compressor can be used to keep a tank of air pressurized remotely for on demand boost assist, drawing power regularly over time rather than all at once.

I still can't help but feel it's just a reverse twin charger with an actual working electric blower.

Cool yes, but I wonder if it's beneficial over existing system once accounted for power draw and weight. Perhaps those are the next generation of issues to over come though. Making a system like this without those drawback, even if taking the weight from elsewhere, might actually be THE answer.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Not the same. A supercharger gets in the way of the turbo and increases heat. This does neither.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:40 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

A fair point, and the more I thought about it there are plenty of cars now with solar panels to run instruments. It would be simple to rig up solar to charge a battery for this system. Optimally if one could put a valved flange on the outside of the compressor housing that more directly impacts the outer circumference of the blades, that would improve the efficiently of this type of anti lag. The weight issue is still a concern however.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:21 PM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

I don't see weight being an serious issue really, most people wont even notice there are 100 extra pounds in the vehicle, if that. But they will notice there's no longer as much lag while waiting for boost in higher gears.

Although there aren't a huge number, think of the vehicles already fitted with Air suspension from the factory, I'm not sure if the S90 has it, but I know some of the Volvo SUVs do, plus some Audis, BMWs, VWs, etc. That would reduce the amount of new weight by tapping into the current air ride system to deliver a burst of compressed air when needed.

Pretty cool concept, but I wonder if it will catch on, or if the other companies will develop something to rival it.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:06 PM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

You'll never see anything like that in the States. Injecting fresh air into the turbine housing can cause all sorts of issues with emissions and cat converters. They may be able to get away with it overseas in a Diesel but you won't see it on a gas engine anytime soon. Plus its just another thing to fail..