Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

My new turbo heat shield

Old 05-26-2016, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default My new turbo heat shield

So, I've been on the hunt to find a new turbo heat shield because the stock one that covers the manifold is just this thin crappy aluminum foil one that does jack for keeping things cool.

I found that a few years ago, MAP Performance had built some pretty nice ones for GC owners. I reached out to them and had found out that they were no longer being made due to low demand. So I studied the shield they had for a couple of days by staring at the pics of it and realized I could most likely make my own out of stainless sheet metal.

Got a large piece and went to town. It took 3 different measurements and 4 complete builds to get it exactly how I wanted. I plan to coat the bottom of it with heat resistance spray so it will keep things nice and cool under the hood.

My shield

IMG_20160526_122858--1.jpg

IMG_20160526_122851--2.jpg

The MAP one for reference....not an exact copy, but it's pretty darn close. Their version goes down a little more and they have a couple more notches. They also utilize the 3rd bolt. Mine doesnt so I'm only using the 2 bolts on the top.

FB_IMG_1462903085008.jpg
Old 05-26-2016, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Looks good.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Nice fab work.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Looks great man! Well done!
Old 05-27-2016, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Great work Josh! Looks like it cam from the factory.

Did you use TIG welding for stainless steel?
Old 05-27-2016, 06:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Very nice!

You should look for some kind of stainless fastener, and maybe an oversized washer to cover up the play in the holes.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by HyundaiKitCoupe
Great work Josh! Looks like it cam from the factory.

Did you use TIG welding for stainless steel?

Thanks...there's a couple of really small imperfections and my welds could have been slightly better (couple of the puddles are a off), but I'm happy with how it came out. And yeah...TIG...

Originally Posted by JonGTR
Very nice!

You should look for some kind of stainless fastener, and maybe an oversized washer to cover up the play in the holes.

I definitely plan on doing something with the bolts. I'm not happy with the factory ones on there now, so I'll most likely pick up some new ones at some point. I do need to find a better washer for the holes too. I cut the holes bigger than they needed to be so I could make sure they lined up with the manifold and so I could slide the entire shield left or right to get an exact fit.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:32 AM
Administrator

This is a random pic of what the factory heat shield looks like

It's this crappy piece of aluminum foil they put over it that does absolutely nothing at all. There's one on the cat too (you can see it in my pics of the new shield), which I might fab up something to cover that also. Driving around with the new shield on over the last couple of days definitely has been an improvement. The car feels like it has a little better throttle response from lower under hood temps. I wish I had gotten before and after readings of what kind of a difference the new shield made but oh well.