Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

USA RD to KDM RD engine swap

Old 01-29-2005, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USA RD to KDM RD engine swap

A thought came across my mind...

If we can do engine swap from Korean RD to USA RD with harnesses and Siemens ecu using MAP, there will be no limit to tune your car.

I am sure I can find some informations I need, but I hope peeps here can help me find and post pictures or direct to those sources.

I am sure you guys already discuss some of this issue before.

1) I need RD's electrical wiring diagrams...any different from RD1 to RD2.

2) Type of oxgen sensors used with picture if possible

If all goes well, we may have solution to do harnesses swap only instead of whole KDM engine swap.

Is it a good idea?
-------------------

I should pursue to buy my friend's RD1 at Chicago for $1,500........White color, 5speed and good running condition according to him.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:49 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Rick, I'm about to build two betas at the same time right now, and I'm one engine short, I only have one block, and one head for work. If we are talking about dropping an RD KDM engine, my car is now offroad use only, so we dont have to worry about anything but racing. I'll do everything I can for REAL at the track scene as well. I've already replaced the entire wiring harness from the headlights all the way back to the tail lights, including the ECU from a Gen 2 tiburon, everything hardwired where neccessary, and fully functional, like the ghost of another car inside the body of mine, lol. I'd love to help you get on the track out here, since we live so close to the speedway.

So let me know what you think, sorry I rambled on so long, hehe.

-Chris
Old 01-29-2005, 11:35 AM

QUOTE (Blacktibs)
Rick, I'm about to build two betas at the same time right now, and I'm one engine short, I only have one block, and one head for work. If we are talking about dropping an RD KDM engine, my car is now offroad use only, so we dont have to worry about anything but racing. I'll do everything I can for REAL at the track scene as well. I've already replaced the entire wiring harness from the headlights all the way back to the tail lights, including the ECU from a Gen 2 tiburon, everything hardwired where neccessary, and fully functional, like the ghost of another car inside the body of mine, lol. I'd love to help you get on the track out here, since we live so close to the speedway.

So let me know what you think, sorry I rambled on so long, hehe.

-Chris

Thanks Chris..

Its good to know someone is nearby can give support.

Do you mean Irwindale or California Speedway?

With above supporting documents, we can find either buying harnesses and ecu only and work on US base RD's.

Instead of buying whole engine and .....

KaSanEngineering is going to help us do this, since they use alot of Beta engine for their formula F4 cars also made to fit 4 or 5speed Hewland Tranny from UK.

We also discussed the future development using 6speed to fit 5speed cars.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Rick, the main problem I see coming from this is Emissions issues with OBDII.

From what I've seen in Korea and here, the engines are identical, except for the MAF/MAP issue. Do they have OBDII in Korea?

This SOUNDS like a good plan, I wish it luck as it may solve LOTS of problems for us. The way Hyundai does stuff, I can see it working easily. The only wiring harness I think that would need replaced would be the MAP/MAF portion. Maybe the parts where the MAP sensor attach on the Korean models too.

It'd be great if we could just get a KDM Tib here in the US and put it side by side with a US one.

As for the 6Speed, I'd like to see some gear ratios to see if it's even worth looking at. Other than swapping the tranny and the shifting mechanizm (Can we even swap that?), it should bolt RIGHT up. The Beta 2's with the 6 speed there in Korea must have the same Tranny Bolt pattern and such right?
Old 01-30-2005, 01:41 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

It really would be beneficial to just swap harnesses again in my car, preferably from like a 99 KDM tibby. Right now the harness is from a 2000 USA model tib, but I wont need hardly anything anymore for the car, no A/C system, or blower at all, basically anything at all that doensn't have to do with making power needs to come out, then the 8 point cage goes in, stand alone, and finally the new built engine dropped in. But I could pull that full harness engine to tail lights in a day. I'll be having nightmares during the swaps, crazy ass memories from when I started. I think we need a race tib in the states, and I dont know of any other tibs used off road only, so hopefully we can bring some Korean Tuning success over here.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:43 AM

QUOTE (REDZMAN)
Rick, the main problem I see coming from this is Emissions issues with OBDII.

From what I've seen in Korea and here, the engines are identical, except for the MAF/MAP issue. Do they have OBDII in Korea?

This SOUNDS like a good plan, I wish it luck as it may solve LOTS of problems for us. The way Hyundai does stuff, I can see it working easily. The only wiring harness I think that would need replaced would be the MAP/MAF portion. Maybe the parts where the MAP sensor attach on the Korean models too.

It'd be great if we could just get a KDM Tib here in the US and put it side by side with a US one.

As for the 6Speed, I'd like to see some gear ratios to see if it's even worth looking at. Other than swapping the tranny and the shifting mechanizm (Can we even swap that?), it should bolt RIGHT up. The Beta 2's with the 6 speed there in Korea must have the same Tranny Bolt pattern and such right?

REAL Korea owns a Turbulence race car sitting at their garage and the car was even used by Korean actor name Lee, Sae Chang at Carmanpark Team previously.

KaSanEgnineering request those pictures, so I am just gonna find something from webtech and forward to them.

We just need to do once....

QUOTE (Blacktibs)
It really would be beneficial to just swap harnesses again in my car, preferably from like a 99 KDM tibby. Right now the harness is from a 2000 USA model tib, but I wont need hardly anything anymore for the car, no A/C system, or blower at all, basically anything at all that doensn't have to do with making power needs to come out, then the 8 point cage goes in, stand alone, and finally the new built engine dropped in. But I could pull that full harness engine to tail lights in a day. I'll be having nightmares during the swaps, crazy ass memories from when I started. I think we need a race tib in the states, and I dont know of any other tibs used off road only, so hopefully we can bring some Korean Tuning success over here.

SOLD my GK today.

What kinda race? Drag? Too heavy

My green card is gonna be coming out soon, so I can go back and forth to Korea again.....been like 3 years waiting.

If I go to Korea in person, I can get their race car for free. Just need to see them in person to ask...we like to do biz face to face, eat dinner together, drink and get drunk together....Korean way of biz.

We were planning to bring AXIS 950hp Turbulence couple years ago to race at IDRC where we know some important guy who is also Korean, but we can't beat those lightweight Honda cars even though we beat Skyline GTR, Silvia, RX-7, Ferrari in Korea.

If at track, its more competitive. We'll keep in touch...
Old 01-30-2005, 10:44 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (2race4real)
REAL Korea owns a Turbulence race car sitting at their garage and the car was even used by Korean actor name Lee, Sae Chang at Carmanpark Team previously.

KaSanEgnineering request those pictures, so I am just gonna find something from webtech and forward to them.

We just need to do once....

Awesome Rick, I'd love to see the pics. Don't forget, if you need any help from me and David, just email either of us.

And you are right, we just need to do it ONCE. I'm thinking that the wiring harnesses will be identical except for the MAP/MAF part.

SOLD my GK today.

arkOrange">WOOOHOOOO!!! YOUR TRANSFORMATION TO THE LIGHT SIDE OF THE FORCE IS ALMOST COMPLETE!

laugh.gif: frank.gif drive.gif fing02.gif friday.gif :inclub: :You_Rock:

My green card is gonna be coming out soon, so I can go back and forth to Korea again.....been like 3 years waiting.

Good, I need a steady Soju supply.

If I go to Korea in person, I can get their race car for free. Just need to see them in person to ask...we like to do biz face to face, eat dinner together, drink and get drunk together....Korean way of biz.

Hence why I need more soju. LOL I miss Korea Rick. Maybe we'll go together sometime eh?

We were planning to bring AXIS 950hp Turbulence couple years ago to race at IDRC where we know some important guy who is also Korean, but we can't beat those lightweight Honda cars even though we beat Skyline GTR, Silvia, RX-7, Ferrari in Korea.

The main thing is we need a factory sponsored Tib, here in the US, that makes some VERY good times. We need to get it racing at some BIG events, getting good times, and some writeups in car magazines. That will increase interest in our cars and get some of the hold out manufacturers to start working more with us.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:52 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

If the timing was right I would so make it out to see that RD racecar.

It'd be cool, once Mussa and FlyRydes get up fully, if we had an RDTiburon showcar. Get a tib off ebay or something and make it a monster with sponsorships through Kspec, Real, Speed-Factor, FlyRydes, Mussa, and maybe even members of this site. That is definitely the epitomy of going off on a tangent but...........

And whatever happened to the Mcyntre Tiburon???
Old 01-30-2005, 11:37 AM

QUOTE (silvertibbs)
If the timing was right I would so make it out to see that RD racecar.

It'd be cool, once Mussa and FlyRydes get up fully, if we had an RDTiburon showcar. Get a tib off ebay or something and make it a monster with sponsorships through Kspec, Real, Speed-Factor, FlyRydes, Mussa, and maybe even members of this site. That is definitely the epitomy of going off on a tangent but...........

And whatever happened to the Mcyntre Tiburon???

I hope I don't need to find Webster dictionary to read your post.........please consider for less talent peep like me.

REDZMAN

The person bought my car is from Ebay who lives in San Diego and going to buy 350hp turbo kit next month that I offered to him.

I'll be shopping around unless I need to go to Chicago to pick up RD1.

Speed-Factor

Back in good old days like 1993 race with Hyundai Scoupe Alpha and Turbo 1.5, we didn't have any manufacture buid race shock.

We found good match using Mazdaspeed RX-7 front and Miata rear shock for our Scoupe.