Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

twin turbo on a 4 cylinder

Old 12-09-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Elantra GLS
Default twin turbo on a 4 cylinder

Are there any advantages at all to running a twin turbo system on a 4 cylinder, or is it a 100% complete waste of time and money?
Old 12-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

advantages, being one off/unique.. other than that, extra money spent for nothing in my opinion.. also depends on how you do it.. if you were to do a small turbo for 2 cyl and another for the other 2 cyl would be different than having a small turbo spooling up a big turbo..

depends on what you were building it for also.. the small + big setup would be mainly if you were competitively racing it (and still wouldn't have much of a need imo) and two small turbos would pretty much be to say you did it and for bragging rights.. you could do the same thing with an appropriately sized turbo..

i was actually working with a member to do a twin setup at one point, but he ended up selling his tib.. we were just going to do it as a fun one-off project, not for any performance benefits.

cost really wouldn't be ALL that much more depending on what turbos you went with and how your sourced them (used or new, rebuilt, etc)
Old 12-09-2010, 10:47 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

The only real reason to do a bi turbo setup on a beta is for a sequential system like Socks said. At that you're basically using the primary turbo as an ALS. The biggest question would become the size of the primary to run because only being fed from 2 cylinders one would really have to research their rig to pick the right exhaust housing. Just shooting the sh*t a work a few months ago I CADed up a(really crappy) design for a TT Beta manifold. I used the wastegate from the primary turbo as a 3rd feed for the 2nd turbo, but in reality I doubt that would even prove efficient.

A more realistic option is to go for a twin charge system, feeding the compressed air from a single Turbo through a supercharger.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:17 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^ agree with both of them. However I believe sport compact magazine did a supercharger/turbocharger setup for a cobalt of all cars and had decent results and to me this is a lot easier then finding a place to stuff twin turbos on an inline 4 cylinder car.