Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

turbos

Old 02-03-2005, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

i would have to say go with speedfactor because nobody has ever complained, at least none i have heard. by they way alpine sux, buddy has one and it really didn't help him as much as a turbo shouldve
Old 02-03-2005, 01:19 PM

I wasn't going to post, but a friend of mine suggested I do. I have a 03 Tiburon with the BetaII engine. I've had the Alpine Turbo kit installed for almost 2yrs now. I was the first GK Tiburon to have an Alpine Turbo kit installed. Except for having to wait for Alpine to adapt the fueling strategy for the Beta II's returnless fuel system I've had ZERO problems with my kit. Anyone with reasonable mechanical ability can install this kit.
Right now the kit utilizes a Mitsubishi TD04H-15T turbo, that used to be OEM equipment on the Saab 9000. To compare I would say this turbo is in between a Garret T25 and T28. It will boost to 20psi without much effieciency lost. Alpine is actually in talks with Garret to start offering its complete line of turbos with their kits. Below is a dyno from the stock kit on my Tiburon.
I'm not trying to start fights but when someone says the Alpine kit is crap I want to see logical reasoning why they believe this so.

Old 02-03-2005, 02:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The Alpine, for the price, isn't the best deal. If its in between a T25 and T28, it'll be pretty much maxed out @ 300 to the wheels. The intercooler I've heard is small and will probably need upgrading as well.

Unichip is not the best software. If you have a Unichip programmer in your backyard, its fine. The nearest one to me is several hours away, and while it isn't a bad tuning tool, it has its limitations as well.

I would buy it... for 1800 bucks or so. Not the price that they want for it. For a person with a Unichip dealer near them and average goals for power, its not a bad kit... but the price is insane. Tim's Basic kit w/Intercooler is slightly better, and you can tune it yourself at a dyno or on the street. And Tim is much more customer friendly, I've heard horror stories about Alpine, none with Tim. Tim's kits also come with little goodies like Turbo Timers and Boost Gauges that are very good add-ons that I don't think come with Alpine.

Tim's extreme kit owns Alpine in every way. The T3/T04E is a very good street turbo for mid to high power applications. The manifold's are excellent (Never seen an alpine...), and the overall quality is pretty much the best you can buy. It comes with everything you will need, you won't be running around buying new couplers, etc. The little things that can rack up the price of an install. Get some extra gauges if you want and your set.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

DM, nice post.

The problem we have with the Beta 1's, is fueling, and the MAF issue. The unichip just sucks ass. Not to mention, the 5th injector setup is a joke. I've been in several turbo'd tibs now, here and in Korea, and without a doubt, the Alpine kit WORKS, but it's like buying a starter kit. Hobgoblin, a member here, had the kit in his car, and it blew the engine. It was partially the shop that installed it's fault, but they also couldn't help tune it.

Speed Factor with a SMT6 is the way for me.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:52 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Good point REDZMAN, DM remember that you have a MAP based car vs. our MAF's I think it's tougher to get around the MAF personally.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:32 PM

can someone please post some dynos for this SF kit that everyone i singing praises about ?
Old 02-03-2005, 03:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

There's been a few posted. Look around.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:42 PM

lots of good info here... DM can you shrink that image down some? I do not want to have flag you with a warning when you are trying to be helpful..
Old 02-03-2005, 04:12 PM

The Alpine kit was not designed for looks. It was designed strictly for performance. No bling, just zing. The Alpine manifold is not pretty by any means but I'd wager it outflows the SF manifold in the basic kit. Also the Alpine manifold is bulletproof and will never, ever leak.
To each his own though. Last I heard the SF kit included a SAFC as the tuning device not an SMT. Also I've never experienced any of the problems people say that comes with using a 5th injector.
With that being said I'm currently at 243WHP and 280WTQ on OEM internals and a slightly modified Alpine kit. The thread starter did not specify he wanted an extreme kit that requires new internals so I assume his needs would be more than met with the base Alpine kit.