Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

turbo upgrades

Old 07-22-2002, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo upgrades

i know i need to have new pistons and such installed..if i get a stroker kit with 8-8.5:1 compression is it ok to have this put in before the turbo or should it all be done at the same time? and does anyone know if theres a turbo manifold that will fit my 2k2 spectra, or do i have to have one fabed?
Old 07-23-2002, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

a *stroker* kit usually means that you are increasing the stroke of the motor. Sometimes people refer to a larger cylinder bore as a stroker kit, but that is not 100% accurate. That has nothing to do with the compression ratio, or a turbo. Both are done to gain displacment and thus power.

Low compression pistions are a good idea for a mid/high power/boost turbo setup, but are not really needed for a low power (6psi or under) setup.

I don't know of anyone that makes a turbo manifold for the Spectra engine. I know Kia was to start using Hyundai Beta motors, but I don't think they made them in the car by 2002. You would have to have one custom made, or find one that is close to fitting and have it adapted. If you *adapt* a unit, any changes/alteration on the manifold may weaken it to the point of failure/cracking.

If you can, try to get your hands on a Hyundai beta Exhaust gasket. That will tell you how close your bolt pattern and exhaust port location is to the Beta and if it is possible to use a Beta Manifold. If it is not close, get a spare Exhaust manifold gasket and *shop* it around various turbo kits, trying to match it up to their manifold (lots of driving around to rice shops on the day they have an install scheduled to be done). You might get lucky and find one that fits off a mitsu or ????

Other than that, your only option would be to get a manifold custom made.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know that a stroker kit just increases displacement but i have seen kits that can either be higher compression ratio or lower depending on application.i was just wondering is it safe to run a lower C/R for a bit until a turbo is put on .maybe ill give my kia dealer a call about the engine type in my car..well thank you for the info