Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbo management?

Old 07-22-2002, 10:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring
Default Turbo management?

I want to put together a small turbo setup but don't know what kind of ECU programming I will have to do for a mild setup. I don't care if I even get 200hp. I just want it set up cheap *for now* with no problems, and THEN add to it later as I get the money. Will just a SAFC work?
I'm just looking for the cheapest way to get a mild turbo setup accomplished with no hassles cause it's a daily driver. Thanks.

(Basically, I can install any part in a car, but when it comes to the ECU system, I don't know jack tongue.gif )
Old 07-22-2002, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the words CHEAP and NO PROBLEMS belong in the same sentence? heh
Old 07-22-2002, 11:24 PM

Vehicle: Ex Hyundai Owner

from what we learned from ONPOL, the SAFC should work good enough up to 215-225 whp... but anything beyond that point then you will need a MOTEC or HALTECH unit for sure...
Old 07-22-2002, 11:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

That's more than enough for me right now. Does anything else need to be added to it?
Old 07-23-2002, 12:26 AM

The SAFC management route is meant for larger injectors. You use the safc to fool the ecu into thinking it's getting half the airflow, but you use 440 cc/min injectors, which are double the flow rate, so it stays normal. Then when the MAFS is reading a much larger flow rate due to the boost, the stock ECU will think it's within parameters.

The problem is, the MAF sensor is only calibrated to a certain point (around 200 to 225 hp worth of air), so after that, the readings get sporatic and the SAFC can't compensate. Also, above that much horsepower (and boost) you need to fiddle with the timing, which the SAFC cannot do. Then you're looking at a ITC device or boost retard unint from MSD, and by then you are almost up to the amount of a Haltec.

I'm kinda taking the same upgradable route you are: start slow, but design in some improvements. I'm starting with 5 psi and just a fuel pressure regualtor to control the flow. Above that, I will consider bigger injectors and an SAFC, but I figure if I want more power by then, I'll go all out: pistons, injectors, haltec, maybe even a bigger turbo. But for now, I'm thinking small, which is really the best way for a Do-It-Yourself'er.

good luck,
ac
Old 07-23-2002, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

For a bare bones, dirt cheap turbo setup.

Turbo with internal wastegate
Manifold
Downpipe/with flex pipe to stock exhaust (*ouch*)
Intercooler, with plumbing
4 larger injectors (pick your size based on HP goal, but don't go over 475cc)
S-AFC
Upgraded fuel pump
Boost gauge
A/F gauge or EGT gauge

for USA guys, the OBD-ii Code reader to reset CEL's and read the CEL codes.

Jon- Not sure what you can do for CEL's and reading the codes behind the CEL's

Running the stock exhaust with a turbo will really hurt HP potential.
No larger than 475cc injectors because that is the limit that an S-AFC can adjust (50%)

That's the bare bones you NEED to get things working. Other things like an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and the like would be *highly reccomend*, but they are not 100% necessary.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:30 PM

I have a Perfectpower *Turbo Fueller Special* I was probably going to sell. It's for driving a fifth injector. Never been used......if you are interested.