Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbo,super,na?!?......help A Newb?

Old 02-23-2007, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some advice/opinions on a few questions.
Im trying to decide if it would be a good idea to go forced induction, and if so which way. Ive read a bunch of articles, and books, but still cant realy figgure out which way to go, or even IF to go.

My situation is this, I live on an island with no dyno, i could probobly go to honolulu once or twice a year with my car, to get it on a dyno, and profesionaly tuned (it would cost 600 to get my car there and back and a week in transit both ways). The on island "tuners" I know arnt very good, and lack the nessasary tools to do a good job.....In fact they are usualy on there 2nd or 3rd motor, and just chalk it up to massive power outputs.........bull*COUGH*.........Withought even looking at tuneing, monitering etc...hell you have to go look and see if the car HAS a turbo some times One guy i know has no guages, no intercooler, and a strait pipe turbo.......but i digress

So basicly im on my own for install, tuneing and maintanance. Ive only poked around the engine bay of a few turbo cars for info, besides reading, on turbo systems. ive also never even SEEN a super first hand.
I AM pretty good at folowing directions, and i LIKE doing maintance on my car, but i dont know if thats enought to offset my lack of knowledge.

The other thing is my cars an auto. I AM hoping to do a manual swap, as soon as i can find a donor car. How much power do you think id be safe running on this trans, id LIKE to get 220whp+ if its safe.

so heres what i THOUGHT was a good idea, dont know if it is or not...
I was just gonna pick up an Alpine supercharger kit, especialy if the m62 variant came out.
I COULD pick up a turbo kit, but again, it sounds too me like I would need to know quite a bit more about them before i would be safe doing the "trail by error method of learning". The super sounds like it would have less Error then learning.

sorry if this is disjointed and hard to read, this has been bugging me all week and it finaly kinda just exploded into question form. When i get home from work, ill try make it a little more sensible.

Thanks for any help

L_W
Old 02-23-2007, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

Well, if you get the Alpine turbo or supercharger kit, it will come already tuned. Of course it is better to get it tuned again after you have it installed with a unichip tuner, but if that's not possible then you should be ok with the base map.
Alternatively, you could go custom with a turbo and street tune it yourself. Just get a good wideband controller and do some research. use the SMT6 or Emanage and you should be able to reach 220 whp. If you want more than that, use a secondary fuel rail with the SMT6 or Emanage and you will be off to a good start.
Lots of info on these options if you search this site.