Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Compressed Air Boost

Old 02-24-2007, 09:59 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

What's to keep someone from using a tank of compressed air to gain a boost for a bit? Seal off the IM, via a switch which will close the IAC, release the throttle to close the TB, and inject air through a port. The tank could be refillable from any compressor.

Hey,it's just a idle queston.. get it, idle question..
Old 02-24-2007, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

DTN, try finding a tank of air that will release air fast enough to create any sort of noticable boost, or that will have enough air to boost for any amount of time.
If you were doing this, you may as well get nitrous.
also, from my understanding, the IAC doesnt leak, so you wouldnt have to worry about that.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Banned

i would have to say no.. how would you give the car gas with letting off the throttle? yeah letting off the throttle closes the TB, but then it also doesn't suck in air for the MAF to measure, and thus wouldn't let any fuel in. and then your motor would run LEAN if it worked, and cause problems.

you could just add the compressed air WHILE you were driving, and im sure it would give you SOME sort of boost, but not much, and it wouldnt last long AT all.

it would be a huge hassle, i would think, to get the air to let out at such a pressure and volume, to either make a difference, or make it work smoothly..

nitrous would be the best option, or even Co2.

it just doesn't sound feasible AT all.. you would need a good amount of electronics, a HUGE air tank to make a difference in 'boost' for any amount of time.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:37 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Kinda sounds like that hairdryer supercharger they keep trying to sell on eBay.
Remember on the top gear video of the Veyron, they said that it sucked in as much air in one second as we do in like 4 hours? Obviously it would have to be scaled down a lot for an engine with 1/4 the number of cylinders, but still, that is a lot of air to be moving through there.

If at all possible, you would need to set it up somewhere in the air intake, well before the manifold. and basically pressurize the air inside the intake manifold and still have the rest of the throttle operate as usual. Have some sort of valve closing off the air filter side so then all the pressure is routed directly into the engine.
I don't think it would work for racing, simply because of the amount of air, but it could be used for vehicles that like to go underwater! Instead of having a snorkel thing on these jeeps, they could use an idea similar to that.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:08 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (SOCKS @ Feb 24 2007, 12:16 PM)
i would have to say no.. how would you give the car gas with letting off the throttle? yeah letting off the throttle closes the TB, but then it also doesn't suck in air for the MAF to measure, and thus wouldn't let any fuel in. and then your motor would run LEAN if it worked, and cause problems.

you could just add the compressed air WHILE you were driving, and im sure it would give you SOME sort of boost, but not much, and it wouldnt last long AT all.

it would be a huge hassle, i would think, to get the air to let out at such a pressure and volume, to either make a difference, or make it work smoothly..

it just doesn't sound feasible AT all.. you would need a good amount of electronics, a HUGE air tank to make a difference in 'boost' for any amount of time.

Actually, not too much electronics. The IAC would need to be closed, MAF fooled and the boost opened. It could be done with a switch, 3 relays, 2 potentiometers, some tubing, and a large gas solenoid. I'd expect about 10-15 seconds of boost from a small tank. It was just an idea and would be quite a bit cheaper then N2O.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:15 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

First off, the beta's IAC doesn't leak, so you don't have to worry about that.

but regardless, if you've ever worked on a turbo car, and pulled off a charge pipe and revved the engine with the air from the turbo blowing on your hand, you'd see that there is a CONSIDERABLE amount of air flowing through that 2.5" pipe, much much more CFM's than a tank of air could supply, not to mention that the nozzle spraying the air would be considerably smaller, which would flow much less CFM's; and all that air blowing onto your hand from revving that turbo engine isn't even enough to pressurize the intake system, you need to have a load on the engine with the engine above your boost threshold RPM to start to get boost.

I thought about it too, and theres nothing wrong with thinking about other ways to do things, but if it was that easy, people would have been doing it a long time ago wink1.gif
Old 02-24-2007, 12:25 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

QUOTE (SOCKS @ Feb 24 2007, 07:16 PM)

CO2 will not give you gains.

Cause to burn more fuel you need Oxigen and not CO2. CO2 do not burn.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:27 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

the Co2 would be to cool the intake charge i believe
Old 02-24-2007, 12:46 PM

Well a 5 gallon air tank holds about 15 cubic feet of compressed air and at wide open throttle your car pulls in air at about 110 cubic feet per minute at 5500 rpm so you do the math, Co2 would be waste since it will displace oxygen in the combustion chamber and cuase you to loose power unless you come up with a way to spray the intake manifold on the outside to get it cold as possible before you make a pass at the track. Many ideas have been thought of before and if they worked there would be alot of people doing it, just like turbos and nitrous, they been used since before WWII, heck hitler used nitrous on the ME-109 fighter planes to help intercept enemy aircraft.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Banned

yeah, i was meaning the c02 to help dramatically cool the intake charge and they have the one for the fuel rail or something..