Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

turbo question

Old 02-10-2002, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo question

wad up
i was watching the fast and the fur. and i noticed that the guy with the eclipse, when he changed gears you heard a pesssssss noise. its the turbo right? so if i get a turbo eclipse gs-T will i hear the same thing? or did the guy have a special turbo?
Old 02-10-2002, 11:51 AM

That was a blow-off valve, I think it was added to the turbo (non-stock).
Old 02-10-2002, 11:53 AM

What you hear is a blow off valve to relieve the pressure in the inlet pipe. With out having this you will slug the compressor wheel, when that pressure wave bounces off of the shut throttle blade between shifts.
Old 02-10-2002, 11:06 PM

For our cars (US spec) with MAF sensors, we need to recirculate the blow off valve vent-gas back to before the turbo. Otherwise the engine gets confused and dumps way too much fuel. This is not as loud, but I imagine you can still hear it.

MAP cars (non-US spec, and all cars running the Link and Haltech systems) don't have this problem.

HRD is right, without it, you can cause the compressor to "surge" and even want to spin backwards. As the turbine still wants to spin forwards, this can cause major damage to the blades, shaft, and bearings.

ac
Old 02-11-2002, 12:23 AM

ok so its the blow off valve. now if i get the eclipse gst will it come with one? or do i have to buy it ? and how much is it?
Old 02-11-2002, 12:31 AM

and doesnt the stock turbo eclipse come with a blow off valve ?
(another question: will i hear a diffence between the regular eclipse and the turbo?
Old 02-11-2002, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by Hessan:
and doesnt the stock turbo eclipse come with a blow off valve ?
(another question: will i hear a diffence between the regular eclipse and the turbo?

No, stock does NOT include a BOV. "hear" a difference? Hear as in engine sound? Exhaust sound? In general, the engine should sound about the same, but the turbo engine will have a "whine" at higher RPM's. Exhaust sound, the turbo car should actually be quieter...
Old 02-11-2002, 05:47 AM

I don't believe the green car was a gs-t. A good BOV with run you about $200 something.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by Curtas:

HRD is right, without it, you can cause the compressor to "surge" and even want to spin backwards. As the turbine still wants to spin forwards, this can cause major damage to the blades, shaft, and bearings.

ac

why wouldnt mitsubishi put a blow off valve when it can put serious damage to your car?
Old 02-12-2002, 01:09 AM
Red

All turbo Eclipses and Talons came with a stock blow-off valve, but they are a recirculating valve so they "blow off" right back into the intake tract before the turbo.

You don't hear go "PSSSSSHSHHHHHH" like an aftermarket atmospheric-vent valve, but you can hear it kinda go "thuppp!" as it vents back into the intake tract on a stock Eclipse.

You really have to listen for it tho -- usually the turbo whine is a lot louder at that point.

-Red-