Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbo Porting/polishing

Old 03-02-2007, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

After reading many posts over on dsmtuners.com about porting and polishing turbo's, I still have a question or 2.

This is what I have already ported and polished:

Turbine inlet
The wastegate for a much smoother transition. Solves boost creep
Wastegate flapper so it opens on a 90 degree angle.
Turbine discharge
Compressor inlet
Compressor discharge

After researching and finding different companies that offer port and polishes and different pictures from other people's DIY job, I've noticed that I could of ported much more.

My question is how much should I go before the wall is too thin and might crack from the heat. Right now for ex. my inlet has a wall thickness of 3.75mm. Could I take more off?

Now just to inform you guys, I haven't touched the turbine housing because I haven't read much about that. Also I leave about a cm from near the compressor wheels. I don't port around them.

Also, anyone have any tips? Or what I should focus on the most?

Here are some pics from different users.
http://www.dsmparts.com/image.php?productid=79.jpg

Old 03-02-2007, 04:40 AM

ive ported a few turbo's, but havent gone hardcore into it. pretty much i just stick to porting the wastegates out. makes a huge difference though. you can alos buy bigger flapper doors, and upgrade to alot bigger that way also for quite cheap.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:49 AM

The wastegate diameter I haven't ported, just inside the turbine so that its a smooth transaction.

I'm not worried about boost creep any more, so Im going to leave the wastegate alone for now.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:16 PM

just helping with what ive done, porting the wastegate is insanely easy actually and helps wuite a bit. other then that, i usually just clean up the casting marks. i do the same to my heads when i have them off.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:42 PM

drillsergeant.gif drillsergeant.gif drillsergeant.gif drillsergeant.gif drillsergeant.gif