Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Electric Problems, Fire, Oh My....

Old 03-04-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I figured that title would get some people in here to help me. Anyways, the other day on the way home from work my radiator fan wiring caught on fire. I caught it in time, clipped the wires, and drove home with the heater on. Yesterday I had some time so I replaced all the wiring, turned the key on and the fans fired up. I was hoping the problem was solved and the car was fine but it's not. I had it idling smoothly last night but when I turned on the headlights the AFR shot to 17 and the car died. I turned the lights off, started the car, and it ran fine until I turned the lights on again. I am also able to do the same thing by holding the window down button if the window is already down. This afternoon I got it idling, hooked up a digital mm, and watched the voltage bounce from 14.3-14.8. I disconnected the battery and the voltage coming from the alternator was reading 15.1. But as soon as I pressed the window down switch voltage dropped down to 8 before the car died. So what is the diagnosis? Bad alternator, voltage regulator, bad ground somewhere? I'm stumped...
Old 03-04-2007, 03:02 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Bryan had to replace the alternator every so often, it may have died again

give him a jingle, see if it sounds familiar
Old 03-04-2007, 03:32 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

might be a bad ground somewhere,
you're putting more electrical load to the system when turning the fan on,thekeep the window going down and other stuff that pulls mucho amps..
so if a battery or body ground is bad it can do that,same if the alternator ground (case to engine) isn't good
Old 03-04-2007, 04:15 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Does anyone know any good deals on a new alternator? Anyone have any input on a better one than stock?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:24 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

BOSCH. Mine came with a 2 year Replacement and Road Side Assistence smile.gif Not sure if thats just a Canadian promotion.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:00 PM

if you buy one from autozone they'll replace it for free if it breaks, thats what bryan did, but i doubt the deal would roll over to a different buyer.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:19 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

don't go buy something expensive when heat is probably your alternator-killer.

Hotter wires/alternator = higher resistance in cars.

And I would have to agree, since you'll probably be buying a bunch of alternators throughout the cars life, get one with a free replacement plan. Read the fine print regarding non-OEM equipment on the car though
Old 03-04-2007, 05:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i cant remember the details with his setup, but get the downpipe ceramic coated.

also make some kind of heat shield for the alternator...

http://cgi.ebay.com/TURBO-TURBOS-ACL-TURBO...1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Banned

yeah, if its the alternator, i would DEFINATELY build a heat shield AND heat wrap the downpipe at the least.. you shouldn't have to replace that shit all the time.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:34 PM

yah you might want to do that, it gets a bit hotter in florida than in NY, although the present alternator lasted the summer up here in NY i doubt a new one would last long down there.

although the vented CF hood will most likely help a ton, my under hood temps dropped dramatically with the new hood