Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

turbo oil leak

Old 01-02-2014, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tiburon
Default turbo oil leak

Well, just went through my second Turbo. I have the oil feed coming from a sandwich plate and a -4an line. My drain is a -8an, I do have a restrictor on the Turbo. .065 is the size. The first Turbo I had was a t3 Garrett. I noticed after a while I had oil leaking out of the exhaust. (Open down pipe for now). It never leaked out of the compressor side though. I bought a second Turbo of a friend that was a eBay one for $50 and did the same thing but even worse. It smokes when it spools, the Garrett never did that. I'm thinking about changing over to a 12an bung on the oil pan up to a 10an flange off the Turbo. Can somebody elaborate?
Old 01-02-2014, 06:05 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

Too much oil pressure for the turbo especially coming right off the oil filter...even with a restrict or there is a lot of pressure, just imagine your thumb over a garden hose.

Find a new supply location and revisit the size requirements for your restrictor.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Why guess? Put an oil pressure gauge inline with the oil feed to your turbo. Find out the oil pressure requirements to the turbo, then....

Get a restrictor and have it welded or braised shut. Then get yourself a LARGE index of drill sizes and start with the smallest diameter and check the pressure. I used a large drill set from harbour frieght to help me. keep stepping up the bit size until you have the correct pressure for the turbo.

Problem solved.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:04 PM

Well I did want to feed it from the head on the corner but that bolt is so pesky to get out and it stripped out. There's a bolt above the header. Did anyone ever use this? Over seen some setups with it but I'm just wondering if it'd be good for my setup or not.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:24 PM

Also would 20psi be good for a t3 Turbo? Journal bearing.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:38 AM

There is 40psi of oil pressure from the head while cruising and around 12psi while at idle, this is at operating temperature...more than enough to supply both journal and ball bearing turbos. I've seen guys use that top bolt, personally I've only used the side bolts (LOTS of heat before even trying to move it) and they have given great success.

Be sure your PCV system is set up properly as well, added crankcase pressure could push oil into your cylinders passed the rings and cause oil to enter the combustion chamber. I always used a .065 restrictor wit my journal bearing turbos but they are touchy to over oiling.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:10 AM

Okay thanks! I'm thinking I'm going to run off of the head and run a bigger drain so it reduces problems. My PVC is out as of now. Until I get a catch can
Old 01-03-2014, 06:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

First, both of you have different heads, so your oil pressures are different. The beta 1 sees much less pressure in the head due to an oil restrictor in the block. You're not going to need to restrict the oil, if at all, when pulling from a beta 1 head.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:54 AM

He never mentioned what head he has, I have a beta II head right now but a beta I before as well, both supplied oil to my turbo without issue. I have always had an oil pressure gauge in line with turbo feed and pressure wasn't much different between both heads.

My BB turbo does require less oil than a journal so where you feed from is ultimately up to you.