Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbo Ignition Timing

Old 02-10-2002, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Ignition Timing

Guys, I've done extensive searches and am not finding much on this topic. The archived FXtreme is tough to search, HP doesn't have much, and believe it or not, this hasn't been discussed here much either. The internet has been disappointing as well. Anyway . . .

For my 1st cut at a turbo, I'm looking at 5 to 6 psi. Am I going to need an ignition timing setup? If so, what? The only one I can seem to find is the MSD 6212 DIS-2 with boost ignition retard. But that's like $420, and it has a ton of features that I don't really need. I just want ignition retard at higher boosts.

Then there's the Apexi ITC, for around $295, but I don't think that has any boost-input, and Apexi's site is less than informative for this unit.

So, any ideas? How did Onpol do it? Red, 2 Uniq, what were you guys considering?

I'm budgeted for the $400 for this, but I'd like to save wherever possible for the "unexpected's" I'm likely to encounter.

Thanks,
AC
Old 02-10-2002, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Onpol did it with just an MSD DIS-2 and a S-AFC. Was it hard? yes. Did it work? 227 Wheel HP at 10 PSI.

The prices on MSD's website are WAY HIGH. Cut them in half, and that is what Summit Racing sells them for. You might even get them cheaper elsewhere...
Old 02-10-2002, 10:35 PM

Could this all be done with a Haltech, out of curiosity? Or would that still need to work in conjunction with another item?
Old 02-10-2002, 10:41 PM

Iago, the Haltech will handle all of this just fine. I'm starting out small, though, and won't have the cash to shell out over $1500 for the E6K, sensors, tuning, etc.

Plus, there's a slight legal issue with "street legal" and Haltech. I want to avoid that, at least for a little while (at which time I probably just won't care about laws anymore smile.gif )

Random, do you remember which DIS-2 he used? There's a super-duper one with computer programming, boost retard included for like $420. The base DIS-2 is like $300 (+ $50 for the boost retard module). These are Summit Racing prices.

thanks,
ac
Old 02-11-2002, 12:23 AM

Yeah, I figured a Haltech was out of your budget range for the time being...I was just kinda wondering in-general just how versatile the setup is.

Good stuff, though!
Old 02-11-2002, 11:27 PM

you do not need to retard your timing for 6 psi of boost. that is equal to roughly 60-70 more hp.

1 psi = 10 +/- HP on a 4 cylinder with a standard turbo/engine combo... as the boost goes up.. or the # of cylinders goes up.. the total power goes up.. so this number is just a reference.

i spray a 70 shot of nitrous on high octane pump gas with no detonation or pinging.

just be sure to change out your plugs to NGK one stage colder than stock and you'll be ok.

a 75 shot also does not need timing adjustments, these cars were desinged to run on regular pump gas so the timing curve is really low... thats why it works so well with nitrous and no timing retard.. it will work the same for boost.

but if you go higher than 6 psi... get the MSD DIS 2 and the boost retard module.

good luck!!!