Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Those of you who live in a state with smog & emission testing

Old 02-24-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Tibby
Default Those of you who live in a state with smog & emission testing

If you live in a state with state inspections where they test emissions and smog, and you installed a turbo, did you have any problems passing the tests?
Old 02-24-2011, 02:23 PM

Vehicle: 99 accent

I only have plug in the front o2 sensor so there's no cel.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:33 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

I live in Colorado, where the station puts your car on a chassis dyno and simulates real world driving while measuring tail pipe emissions. They also need to be able to communicate via the OBD port with the stock computer so I'm limited to piggyback ECUs. When I was running premium fuel I had to disconnect my wastegate flapper so that I only boosted 1psi at redline to get to pass. When I switched over to E85 I can leave it connected and I pass with emissions below stock.

Oh and we have to pass a visual inspection for a cat converter. I have a hi flow Random Tech cat so I'm sure that helps me pass emissions as well. Oh and my last dyno was 397whp at 20psi.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

In cali, if your car didnt come with a turbo you can only slap a turbo on if there is a CARB approved turbo for your car. Motor swaps are legal but you have to use a motor from the same year or newer and the motor has to match the Make of the vehicle, in other words no swapping a Mazda motor into your Hyundai. Also all smog equipment must function as it would with the Donar vehicle and the ECU is to be from the Donar vehicle. There were a couple things I had to bring over from the Elantra and put into my Accent then all the wiring, fun times! After you have done this you go to a referee station and they inspect your install, ecu and smog the vehicle, if you pass they put a new sticker in the door jam stating your motor swap info. If your lucky like me they will spell your car wrong: Hyundai Acsent... LOL

Pain in the ass but we do not have vehicle safety inspections. Burnt out tail light, brake pads thin as a dime, leaky radiotor, dont matter, you get on the dyno and if ya pass smog your done.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ priorities differ. In Texas, we can see through the air but the cars may tend to fall apart if the owners are allowed to let them deteriorate. In CA, they all have <5 years-old cars, but you can cut the air in some places with a knife
Old 02-25-2011, 12:26 PM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

Ah I miss the days of living in TX where one could run with open headers, or even no headers and drive down the street blowing smoke and windows out...lol CARB? Ya mean the thing that dumps fuel and air into my HEMI? ROFL
Old 02-25-2011, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

Lol Stocker, it gets bad in the valley during the summer months, no more clean air only oil blood money ashes.