Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

T3 vs T4 housing discussion

Old 01-25-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2K1 Red Tib
Default T3 vs T4 housing discussion

Heres my dilemma. I have a 6262 with a T4 .68 at the moment. I may have the abilty to get my hands on a 6765 fairly cheap. The 6765 has a T3 .82 3" v-band and i have a housing that is from a 6165 that is .81 T4 3" v-band. Im just kinda wondering which i wanna use and maybe some people can help me out. Either the .82 T3 or the .81 T4. I dont think right now that my setup is in need of something as large as a .81 T4 as i wont be on anything other then pump gas until next year or later.

BTW, my manifold is flanged for both T3 and T4 if you wondering how ill be able to use both.

To make a long story short. Is there a huge difference in the T4 and the T3 as far as spool and power. Also, what kinda gains can i look at from straight switching from a 62mm to a 67mm. Say the 62mm T4 makes 500whp on 20psi, what will the 67mm T4 make, 550whp on same boost/fuel?
Old 01-25-2011, 01:32 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

I would say for you the T3 .81 Ar will do, but you would probably be happier with a little smaller Ar. The only nice thing about really late spool is it packs a Punch, much like the Honda Boyz VTec!!! Yet, which lag means traction, we all know this, but most people here like me are running a smaller Ar, and like most cases with a T3/T4 Turbo, you will see the turbo with the smaller Ar, Drop Off at the Top end, compared to a larger Ar turbo. I am running a smaller Ar at a fair a decent amount of boost, and see ZERO issues of my power dropping off, i do get a little wheel spin with street tires, but wtih a little extra meet, all is well. There is not real or great diffrence, mainly it is how YOU want it, you want it to drive like a N/A car and spool at 5k, Then a Big Ar is the way. If you want a fun street car, and have the ability to burn cars off teh line and not even have to push it hard, a small Ar will help you make some gnargly low end torque to, my max torque comes in a abotu 3.2k. It is how you would like it to pull... Also if you want a full T4 turbo, ask faithofadragon, how he like his Cumins powered Fagwagon. Think he is still drivng around trying to spool it to this day...
Old 01-25-2011, 01:41 PM

Vehicle: 2K1 Red Tib

LOL @ Fagwagon

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:45 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Elantra

A 6262 is good for 680hp. I would stick with the 6262 max it out before upgrading. Its a precision turbo so you change the backhousing to whatever you like all you have to do is call.

The T3 Flange has an inlet area of 57.2mm as where the T4 has an inlet area of 74.7mm undivided. Its possible to have it drilled for both but you should measure the diameter of the flange on your manifold. If you have the measurements of a t3 flange on your manifold your killing the flow of exhaust gases to the t4 6262. Changing that one flange should drastically change the spool up of your car.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:48 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

Figure out what you want to do with your car first and then go from there. IMHO both of those turbo's are too big for a street driven car. You'll blow your engine (if its not built and tuned right) before you max either one. For me I primarily road race with some drag racing thrown in so a .81 A/R is worthless to me. Not good to get a sudden whack of power while your taking a fast right hand turn on the road course. lol
Old 01-26-2011, 02:22 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent 22PSI Boost

Question - Why run such a massive turbo on such a small displacement motor? Obviously your chasing HP but dont you guys think t3/t4 is a slight bit of overkill?

Cheers Ryan
Old 01-26-2011, 03:01 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

I am running a T3/T4, it is a 50trim .48Ar, thing spools hard, and on the dyno makes great number... I can beat out most the guys running these T4 turbos cause there only making boost for the last 2k in there rpm range, Mine spools early, and even turning my motor to 7.2k Rpms.. The turbo keeps up fine... I see no reason, my turbo is good for 500whp... It is a great match, and havent had any issues, and is amazing on the streets, makes max torque at about 4k... which does promote wheel spin, I just run meaty tires up front, and works well... Also like 03tibe85 said... If your looking to get a super monster turbo, you need to find out what you wanna use the car for.... I know Mine is very universal... with the smaller properly size turbo, my dyno graph look literally all motor pull...anyway decide what you want to use the car for, but a high ar. will only disapoint you i think.. if you want a fun car, you can take to the streets and suprise people with, and take to the track, get something a like smaller, t3/t4 is fine, but something like a super 60 or a T3/T4 Garrett 50 Trim are awesome... ill post some videos for yall...

Turbo

That is my turbo, with the exception of a few small modifications... like 360 bearing and stage 3 turbine and compressor wheels....4 bolt 2.5" exit, with .48ar!!!