Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Break in on freshly boosted engine

Old 01-26-2011, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Turbo Tib
Default Break in on freshly boosted engine

I have been told by a few people that when you freshly boost a car/engine, its not good to do a hard break in for it. You should bring it up to temp, check for leaks like fluid/vacuum, then shut it down. After that, tow directly to the tuner and break it in on the dyno. Has anyone else done this and does it really matter if you dont break it in on the dyno? I didnt do it this way. I boosted the car, made sure everything was good and drove around for about 4 days before going to a tuning shop.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:48 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Got my motor built, ran it with zero boost till it was broke in, just a tad over 1000 miles, and then slowly started running it with more and more boost.... Now it runs great, no leaks not nada... Havent ran into a problem yet!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:38 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

Is this a freshly boosted stock engine or a freshly boosted freshly built engine?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:45 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Elantra

I bring my engines up to temp check for leaks and tune afrs while they are warming up. Once they hit operating temperture I shut it down. Change the oil. Bring it back up to operating temps check afrs some more. Fine tune idle afrs at operating temps. Granny drive it for 300 miles while tuning the low end. Add a small amount of boost, tune some more. 500 miles change the oil again. Add a little more boost no more than a max of 9 psi, start WOT tuning. 1000 miles change oil again. Crank it up and tune some more.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

if its a stock engine, theres nothing really needed to be broken in if you didn't modify the internals of the engine.

i would still let it warm up and make sure everything was good (vacuum, no leaks, etc) but thats about it on a stock motor.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:31 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon

This sounds like a motor break in thread, what tom dose is a modified version of how i break in a motor.

I agree with socks.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:29 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

Old 01-27-2011, 08:16 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

No matter the car or the enigne, or the "purpose" of the rebuild, i will always and forever break in a motor as if it were a high performance motor, just of the longevity of the engine. I see no reason to rebuild a motor just becuase it isnt a perfromance built motor, you would break it in diffrently, but when i broke my motor in, it never saw boost untill after 1k, even then i slowly went up with boost and tuning. I have about 15k miles on this motor and i have beat it. Never smokes and doesnt leak. Also running 19psi at the moment, getting ready for the upcoming race season. See what happens.

Also just a one up^^^^ I used Brad Penn break in oil, and broke it in about the same as Tom with out the addition of boost till it was broke in, Now i also run Brad Peen 40 weight with no additives or detergents at all!!!!